Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Medical marijuana question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Does your medicinal marijuana help with your chronic pain?

Options:

Yes, it helps better than pain meds

Yes, it helps, but never took pain meds

It helps about the same as my pain meds did

It doesn't work as good as my pain meds did

I doesn't help me, and I have never taken pain pills

I don't have chronic pain

I smoke to get high, not for medicinal purposes

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

I suffer from chronic pain in my neck, lower back, and hip from a variety of issues. I have been seeing a pain clinic for almost 4 years now. I get steroid shots in my neck, and lower back through the clinic, and steroid shots in my hip at my PCP. 

I am also on Norco as needed for pain. 4 years ago, the steroids were enough. I would go 4x a year, and only feel the pain the last 2-3 weeks before the next shot. 

Now, I am in pain still continuously between shots (though it is lessened for about 6 weeks), and I am at the point where for the first time in my life, I am taking the pain meds as directed every day (3x/day) and still in pain.  My does is 10mg's each time, which I thought was a large dose, but my dad just had surgery, and said his are 20's, so maybe that isn't a high number?

A LOT of people keep recommending pot for the pain, and it is legal in Mi for medicinal purposes. I grew up in the 80's during the hieght of "POT WILL KILL YOU!" Phase, and I took it to heart, and have never so much as tried illegal drugs of any sort.

i don't even know if it would help or not, but I a, at the point where I HAVE to try something

How much is pot? Is it crazy expensive? I already know my insurance won't cover it. And where the heck do I get it? We used to have dispensaries all over the place when it was legalized, but about a year later, some laws changed, and they all shut down. 

And lastly- do you take it for medicinal purposes only? Has it helped with chronic pain? Do edibles help as well? I am not even a cigarette smoker, so I would really prefer not to smoke anything (not to mention the smell- I have my own kids, and on top of that, I am a GS leader- I never even take my pain meds if I have to be around the girls at all, though, so no bashing please- their safety trumps my pain every time). 

I know there are going to be bashes, but please know in advance I a, just going to ignore you, because frankly, I a, sitting here feeling queasy from my pain meds, and my back hurts so bad I could cry. So, before you bash, just realize your opinions won't matter to me, because you don't live my life. 

Edit: Alternative therapies I have tried include physical therapy (helps, but it's pretty pricey a d insurance cuts off after 20 visits/year, and at 3x/week, it doesn't go far), yoga (no help), and the chiro (I still go to him once every 2-4 weeks, and it does help, but it's cheaper that PT, and I don't have to go nearly as often to see some minimal results- it only helps my headaches resulting from the neck pain, which are constant without the chiro). 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

I don't ever use it, but definitely support it.
But I think that there are plenty of other therapies to consider too.    I love chiro and acupuncture.

ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Not much help, but my dads pain management doctor wrote him a prescription for it. His doctor says "it's 99% legal in Indiana" and that dad can't get in trouble for smoking it. It will be ordered from california
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:20 AM

I have my prescription for severe orthopedic pain stemming from heel spurs and muscle atrophy in my feet.

Before my script, I couldn't want 4 blocks without limping towards the end, now I can walk even further.

I pay $25 per 1/8th of an ounce of pure-grade knock-you-on-your-ass weed.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I have done PT, yoga, and chiro. There are no accupunctiast (is that what it would be called?) in the area. PT helps somewhat, but my insurance only covers up to 20 visits, then it's all OOP.

The Chiro helped with the neck a good amount, enough to stop the headaches that are nearly constant from the neck pain, but he has never had any success with my lower back or hip area. I still go in once ecery 2-4 weeks and pay completely out of pocket because insurance only covers 12 visits a year. But, they work with me on the cost, and cut it down to only $40/visit, even though that's the rate it would be only with the insurance discount. 

Yoga was eh. I did not notice any change good or bad from going. 

Quoting doulala:

I don't ever use it, but definitely support it.
But I think that there are plenty of other therapies to consider too.    I love chiro and acupuncture.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM

What does that equate to? Is that a single joint? Or like 5? I seriously have no clue. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

I have my prescription for severe orthopedic pain stemming from heel spurs and muscle atrophy in my feet.

Before my script, I couldn't want 4 blocks without limping towards the end, now I can walk even further.

I pay $25 per 1/8th of an ounce of pure-grade knock-you-on-your-ass weed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Did he see any results, or is he still waiting to start?

Quoting ccoyle4:

Not much help, but my dads pain management doctor wrote him a prescription for it. His doctor says "it's 99% legal in Indiana" and that dad can't get in trouble for smoking it. It will be ordered from california

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM

the problem with using the marijuana for pain support is that it becomes an abused substance- yes, I know not everybody, every time but a lot of people a lot of the time - my personal opinion  is that even thought I support medical usage for many things I do not think it is useful for this type of chronic pain. Keep going to the chronic pain Drs and have them find ou a better cocktail of medications also look into non-western medical like meditataion and massage etc...Good Luck as I too have chronic knee and feet pain where some days I cannot stand to stand but I have to cuz life goes on!!!

ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:30 AM
He's still waiting. He is in his last 3 months of a 3 year probation and is afraid of messing it up. Before he got into trouble he smoked it and felt a lot better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ccoyle4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

How is this different than narcotic use? Narcotics are just as (if not more so) easily abused and addictive than pot, from what I understand. 

Quoting mom2priceboys:

the problem with using the marijuana for pain support is that it becomes an abused substance- yes, I know not everybody, every time but a lot of people a lot of the time - my personal opinion  is that even thought I support medical usage for many things I do not think it is useful for this type of chronic pain. Keep going to the chronic pain Drs and have them find ou a better cocktail of medications also look into non-western medical like meditataion and massage etc...Good Luck as I too have chronic knee and feet pain where some days I cannot stand to stand but I have to cuz life goes on!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I don't blame him inthe least- I would be paranoid too in that instance. I hope he finds some relief from his pain. 

Quoting ccoyle4:

He's still waiting. He is in his last 3 months of a 3 year probation and is afraid of messing it up. Before he got into trouble he smoked it and felt a lot better.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ccoyle4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)