Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sending your child to a public school equates being on pa ETA in green

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 417 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: public schools: PA or NOT

Options:

yes

no

other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1178

View Results

my sister and i were sitting in the living room talking about schools were our children "might" go to school. Her oldest starts pre-k the fall of 2014 and my dh and i are still ttc. yet while it is a bit away for hubby and I, It is just around the corner for her. We both are leaning towards private school or home school. But it has me thinking about something i have seen here on cafemom and facebook. Do people really consider public schools as a form of public assistance

ETA: MYSELF NOR MY SISTER FEEL IT IS PA I AM SIMPLE ASKING IF OTHERS REALLY FEEL THAT IT IS. AND JUDGING FROM SOME OF THE RESPONCES A FEW OF THE MOMS HERE ACTUALLY DO FEEL IT IS

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM
71 moms liked this

uh no,I pay taxes for my child to go to school

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM
7 moms liked this

You pay "tuition" to public school in the form of your taxes.

starlight91
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

lmfao NO,

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM
61 moms liked this
Public school isn't income based, unless I've really been missing something! Lol.

That's like saying driving on roads, being defended by the military, and taking FDA-approved medications is utilizing welfare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

No, because as others said, taxes support the school.  DS is going to parochial school because the public schools in our district are way too big and kids get lost if they don't stand out in sports. 

Khaleesi
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
38 moms liked this

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

All kids, regardless of parent income are able to attend public school from K-12. Pre-k in MOST (not all, apparently) is a PA program only for low income families. Your property tax funds the school and the millionaires are allowed at public school so its not a form of welfare. You pay for it.

ElitestJen
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

No.  Public assistance is income tested.  Public schools are available for everyone regardless of income.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
6 moms liked this

I homeschool and still willingly pay taxes so that there are good public schools.   I don't see it as public assistance toward other people even though my kids don't use it.   I see it as part of our duty as a (hopefully well run) society.

Besides, I went to public school, so I'm paying taxes now as a way of giving back.

RaynesMommy07
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Ummm no.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured