Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sending your child to a public school equates being on pa ETA in green

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: public schools: PA or NOT

Options:

yes

no

other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1178

View Results

my sister and i were sitting in the living room talking about schools were our children "might" go to school. Her oldest starts pre-k the fall of 2014 and my dh and i are still ttc. yet while it is a bit away for hubby and I, It is just around the corner for her. We both are leaning towards private school or home school. But it has me thinking about something i have seen here on cafemom and facebook. Do people really consider public schools as a form of public assistance

ETA: MYSELF NOR MY SISTER FEEL IT IS PA I AM SIMPLE ASKING IF OTHERS REALLY FEEL THAT IT IS. AND JUDGING FROM SOME OF THE RESPONCES A FEW OF THE MOMS HERE ACTUALLY DO FEEL IT IS

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (351-360):
Viajo
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't worry about her opinon OP and don't apologize!  Obviously this person is saying that because you don't hold her same opinion (although yes, you did clarify you did actually!) it means that you are ignorant....totally typical of the politics in this country today!

Quoting dixiemama25:

i do not feel that way nor does my sister. i was asking if "OTHER PEOPLE"  really feel that way. i know public school is not free i know our tax dollars go to pay for the schools. sorry if you misunderstood the post

Quoting Anonymous:

No. I.suggest you get more education before you have children because you are definitely not the brightest. Public School is not free. It's education. You need a lot more of it.

g3b12006
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely not you pay taxes for schools, money from lottery helps fund schools & where we are we pay for everything our children need for school book fees are not cheap either God forbid your child should lose a book because you have to pay for that as well or they w/hold that last report card if you a child in high school they w/hold thier diploma Please explain to me how on Gods green earth that could even remotely be called public assistance?

dolorasmarie
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I just read through an hour of these post and all I have to say is it has made me sick to think someone could think this. This has nothing to do with taxes or yada yada if you ask me. This just sounds like stereotyping. Get off your pedestals please. Stop being so judgmental. If you don't want your kids to go to public school then don't put them there. Raise your kids. Love your kids. Teach your kids. It's you not the school. It's the parent. It's not the money it's the passion and pride put into it. Show off of all you want but don't bring America and society down by saying something so ignorant.
Mae1967
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
LMFAO SMH NO
hspear
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Lol nope, I don't think it is. We pay taxes that, through a chain of payees, fund the public school system. If we're paying in, I don't believe it's public assistance.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
No that is bullshit. I work in public school and both of my older kids go to public school. Public school is funded by our tax dollars so you are paying for it. To me, it is stupid for people to pay taxes for public schools and then spend a bunch of money on private school.
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
CafeMom Tickers
ummcarter
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I am saying yeah, public schools are PA just like all other assistance like food stamps, military services etc are PA. Assistance to the public. PA I am all for, schools, military etc.
Quoting Anonymous:

I know. I said public schools are not PA.
The OP sounds like a snob. An uneducated snob.

Quoting ummcarter:

Food stamps aren't free either. You pay for them just like you pay for the military and public school and all the other services we recive.  

We pay for all the cildren of our country to be able to go to school. It's a good thing because not every family can pay for their children to go to school unless it is paid for by taxes they are already paying. I certainly coudn't afford a private gaurd but I do pay for the military to gaurd me. I can't afford to feed every child in the nation but I pay for them in a small way by taxes. I am assistaed by the govenment because I am gaurded and I am helped to feed the the family down the block by the government. I am helped to educate that family as well. There is nothing wrong with that. Thats what a government is for.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. I.suggest you get more education before you have children because you are definitely not the brightest. Public School is not free. It's education. You need a lot more of it.

adulation
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Quoting MicheleJM:

That would be FORCED PA, lol, because the schools require we send in our income and W-2s and they make the determination from there.  I think they probably get funding based on who is on reduced/free lunches.  I don't call it PA if it's something the school determines I get and wouldn't normally ask for.

Quoting adulation:

no, the property taxes we pay go to the school.

PA is using free/reduced lunch at said schools.

that's weird.  we're not required to send in our info here unless we're trying to see if we qualify for free lunch.  i mean, they send it out to everyone, but it's not a requirement to turn it back in.  but over 85%of my daughter's school is on reduced or free lunches.

Miranda1127
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Everyone is entitled to a free basic education according to our govt. Only people who meet certain financial and social requirements are eligible for PA (according to the govt). See the difference?

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I don't view it as that. I guess maybe because going to school is a requirement? Getting an education is required one way or the other.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured