Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sending your child to a public school equates being on pa ETA in green

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: public schools: PA or NOT

Options:

yes

no

other- please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1178

View Results

my sister and i were sitting in the living room talking about schools were our children "might" go to school. Her oldest starts pre-k the fall of 2014 and my dh and i are still ttc. yet while it is a bit away for hubby and I, It is just around the corner for her. We both are leaning towards private school or home school. But it has me thinking about something i have seen here on cafemom and facebook. Do people really consider public schools as a form of public assistance

ETA: MYSELF NOR MY SISTER FEEL IT IS PA I AM SIMPLE ASKING IF OTHERS REALLY FEEL THAT IT IS. AND JUDGING FROM SOME OF THE RESPONCES A FEW OF THE MOMS HERE ACTUALLY DO FEEL IT IS

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (371-380):
Gingered
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Exactly, some people don't see the big picture.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yay! That means we'll only have to pay property taxes for three more years, right? =)

Ummm.... NO. Even after my son graduates from high school, we'll still be required to pay property taxes. In fact, if we live here for the rest of our lives (as we plan to do), we'll have paid over $120,000. So... yeah... I think we DO pay enough to cover our child's "tuition".

Quoting Anonymous:

There's no way you pay enough taxes to cover all of YOUR child's tuition, so you must rely on other people's taxes to pick up the slack. THAT is what makes it PUBLIC assistance. My kids go to private school for the better education, bc in my area the public schools are horrible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM

You QUAILIFY for PA by being under a certain income limit and public school has nothing to do with income limits.  I send my children to the local public school because it is a great school and we are not christian and do not feel comfortable sending them to a private christian school.  I considered a montessori private school, but it is some distance and they do not bus them so it did not work with our schedule.

jessifromdenver
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
You pay taxes for public assistance if you ever need it one day too.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

uh no,I pay taxes for my child to go to school

Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Please don't homeschool.  If you actually thought public education was a form of PA...you are not smart enough to teach others and your children will be destined to fail.

pregnantmama105
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM

for myself no... some parents may not be religous and feel private school (which where I live is christian) isnt something they are willing to do. since they dont believe is god they dont want them to go to a christian school (private or public) and some may feel they dont want to homeschool because they would rather work or they have a home bussiness etc... so they are left with public school. doesnt mean they are on PA or that it is a forum of PA, im pretty sure where I am public school still has school fees/tutition

Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM

If a person pays rent, a portion of that rent go towards the taxes on that property, so yes, even lowly renters DO pay into the school system...ANYONE who pays ANYTHING for using a property is contributing to the payment of the taxes by the landlord of that property.  So your something for nothing makes no sense, it is a lack of understanding about the way money works on your part...thats like saying a child care provider is greedy for wanting $4 an hour to care for your child, and not recognizing that MOST of the money you pay go towards yoru own child--food, electricity, heat, toys, fencing, insurance, etc... and NOT actually just supporting the caregiver, who probaably uses less than half of what you pay to support themselves.  

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Actually I could see some truth in this statement. I know in my state that schools are funded through property taxes, and since not everyone owns property, there are in a sense getting government assisstance without paying into the system. Hmmm never thought of it. Good question!

witchybabymomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:31 AM

There are some moms are here who seem to think everything is PA I avoid their rediculous attitudes as often as possible. Next thing you know some will be saying breathing free air is PA. :-/

SKM1119
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:39 AM

No. That is ridiculous.  My tax money goes to the schools

witchybabymomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Thought I would inject my 2 cents into the it's PA because our taxes help fund it, in that case I think anyone who drives on a road uses PA because hey are taxes pay for it, or if you go to a public library at least in my area yep taxes help pay for that too, oh and hospitals because part of my taxes also fund the hospital, but you can bet they still send me a bill I have to pay if I have to go there for anything.

Come on people not EVERYTHING is PA

Mistygirl
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Well i guess someone needed some drama today. This is the most rediculous question I have heard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN