Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

when is it too much??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My mother is a great mother but she doesn't know the boundary between mother and grandmother. When school got out my mom wanted to take my boys for about a week which of course I said ok. Well I got my kids back last night and they are telling me things that go on out at my mothers. First of al they said she is saying the devil lives in our house because my dh likes to drink a beer after work here and there. They are just scared to even sleep in their room or even use the bathroom!!! I live very close to my mother and right now I am thinking of moving a little farther away. THis isn't the first time this has happened, it seems to me Thdt she is tryin to make my kids turn against us or something. She is always tryin to talk me into letting her adopt them. I have talked to her and have told her she needs to stop but obviously it did no good!!! I'm pretty upset with her right now and just wondering what women of you women would do.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I think moving would be a good option. Don't let them visit her anymore.
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
If she has a history of that BS, why would you let her take them for a week? I wouldn't be allowing any unsupervised contact - probably no contact at all - if a personwas trying to turn my kid against me, much less terrifying him in the process.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
She promised She wouldn't do it anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this
She will not be having them any more. My mother obviously has no respect for me or my dh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Keep a written record of the things that she has done, or continues to try to do.  This will provide you with some ammunition if you do try to keep them away from her and she wants to sue you for grandparents rights.

Freela
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I wouldn't let her be with the kids unsupervised anymore. And I would tell her exactly why. And if she promised not to do it again, I would tell her you don't believe her and the rule stands.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
My mom is the same with DS...minus te devil. Every time he goes to her house he comes home saying That she told him to move in with her, that she wouldn't make him have a bedtime, or put him on timeout and stuff. Every time I tell him something it's "gran doesn't make me do that" "gran lets me do that" "gran lets me have candy for breakfast".

I've kept him from her for over a month several times because she can't follow rules I have set for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

You should definitely put some distance between you. My dh's mom makes comments like that as well. If she had her way my kids woudn't go trick or treating, receive Christmas presents, be able to watch any Harry Potter movies or do and see all kinds of things she finds unacceptable. I think she's just crazy. Luckily she lives in TX and we live in MD.

Move.

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I can only imagine some of the things she must have put into your head when you were little. When it comes to children though she is definately crossing the line. Mess with me...I'm an adult...but NEVER and I REPEAT NEVER mess with my kid. She isnt responsible enough to be around your children without adult supervision, I see where you said she promised to stop. She can't control herself, and this is the reason the children will no longer be spending extended time with her. When she complains ( and she will ) tell her that SHE is the reason her grandchildren can't have a closer relationship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM

She does that too! Now my youngest just asked me why grandma can't adopt him. Ugh!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom is the same with DS...minus te devil. Every time he goes to her house he comes home saying That she told him to move in with her, that she wouldn't make him have a bedtime, or put him on timeout and stuff. Every time I tell him something it's "gran doesn't make me do that" "gran lets me do that" "gran lets me have candy for breakfast".

I've kept him from her for over a month several times because she can't follow rules I have set for him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)