Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lining up Two hrs early for an Elementary School "Graduation"

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 11 Replies

People are crazy!! There are only about 60 kids, More than enough Seating, a "Photographers Area". We live across the street from the school. When DS "graduates" we'll walk over 5 mins before the ceremony. LOL

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I never understood having a graduation for elementary kids personally, but those people sound nuts!!

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I didn't know you could graduate from elementary school. We live 2 miles from the elementary school and I'll still show up 5 min early. 

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to graduate from my current cup of coffee, have a ceremony, then refill my cup.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

This. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I didn't know you could graduate from elementary school. We live 2 miles from the elementary school and I'll still show up 5 min early. 

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to graduate from my current cup of coffee, have a ceremony, then refill my cup.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I think graduations before high school are stupid and minimizes the accomplishment when they reach 12th grade.  I was once talking to a girl in her 20's in a doctor's office waiting room and she was saying she needed to further her education and wanted to go to college.  I asked her if she graduated and she said yes, so we started talking about the requirements for applying to colleges.  After 5 minutes she stops me and says "I graduated from 8th grade.  Will they let me go to college if I get my middle school transcript and show them i graduated?".

Ugh.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Someone I know's daughter started preschool in February when she turned 3 (special needs preschool).  She had a graduation ceremony in May!  She's still attending that preschool next year but she got a certificate for "completing her first year."  Ridiculous how everything is an excuse to have a graduation anymore.

My brother graduated preschool, kindergarten, elementary, jr. high, and high school.  By the time I got to those milestones they decided to do away with every graduation except high school.  You better believe I was upset!  I also missed out on things like building and launching rockets, extra field trips, etc. just because they decided not to do them my year.  They resumed the year after mine just skipped my year.

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Sigh. This story makes me so sad. This is why we need to stop calling anything before 12th grade completion a graduation.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think graduations before high school are stupid and minimizes the accomplishment when they reach 12th grade.  I was once talking to a girl in her 20's in a doctor's office waiting room and she was saying she needed to further her education and wanted to go to college.  I asked her if she graduated and she said yes, so we started talking about the requirements for applying to colleges.  After 5 minutes she stops me and says "I graduated from 8th grade.  Will they let me go to college if I get my middle school transcript and show them i graduated?".

Ugh.

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

HA! :0)

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Graduations before college are stupid. A high school graduation is ridiculous, that's not some great accomplishment. Everyone should do that and having a big ceremony to celebrate someone just because they didn't drop out of school to spend their life as a minimum wage flunky is sad.
dorfmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Our school district doesn't do anything for the kindergarteners or last year of elementary school. At the end of 8th grade, they have a farewell and awards ceremony. If you aren't speaking or getting an award, your name is not called. Only the ceremony after finishing 12th grade is called graduation here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)