Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I stopped giving warnings for...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

back talking. Thanks to some little heathens at my girls' preschool whose parents don't keep them in their place, my girls have learned to back talk. One little girl in particular is a major bad influence. Her mom thinks it's funny when she is sassy. I call it disrespect. So now, I have to be the bad guy. I started off telling my girls that it is disrespectful and they are not allowed to back talk to adults. Then I started punishing them after they'd received warnings. Now, no warnings. No being separated from everyone else. No timeouts. If they back talk me, it's an instant spanking. Normally, spanking is a last resort. I don't care for it. But I absolutely will not tolerate sassy, back talking, disrespectful children. When they are told to do something, the most I expect to hear out of them is "Yes ma'am" or "Yes sir". If they don't get their way, I expect them to keep their mouths shut and know their place.

Have you ever stopped giving warnings for any behaviors?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Am I misunderstanding or are they in preschool? Do you know anything about childhood development? Smh
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I'm starting to have problems with back talk, too. Luckily I haven't had to start spanking for it, yet. Taking away computer time seems to do the trick so far.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

They are 4 and 5. Old enough to know better. I do not negotiate. I do not debate. I am the parent and they are children. They might as well learn how to respect authority asap because they will have it their whole lives. I raise my  children the way my mom raised me. If it's not going to be acceptable at any other point in life, then it won't be tolerated now.

Quoting shygurl3166:

Am I misunderstanding or are they in preschool? Do you know anything about childhood development? Smh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I don't even know what to do with my sassy 3 year old. Nothing works. Talking, time out, spanking. And she mostly only does it to me. Probably doesn't help that every time she does something she's not supposed to, somebody laughs and so she thinks it's cute and continues the behavior.

We're currently staying with MIL and this is the biggest reason I want out ASAP but we're still playing catch up after a few months of no income after DH got out of the military.

So frustrating that I can't even discipline my own kid in this house without somebody else trying to step in. She's MY daughter, it's MY responsibility to handle her behavior. Having 3 people tying to tell her what to do probably just confuses her. Butt the hell out and let me handle it. That's probably also why she doesn't listen well because she's constantly hoping somebody else will tell her what she wants to hear. We didn't have this problem when we were living alone.

Sorry, had to vent. :/ 

MalakbelLacuna
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
This whole reply made me laugh so hard!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes! If I have to tell you every freaking day to not touch that. I am to my breaking point with kids. A colic baby sends you over the edge. I just wanna punch someone in the face. I can't punch my kids my mind can't go there but I really want to just punch the living day lights out of anyone. Like if someone came and knocked on my door I would want to punch them. I have been dealing with kids to long. Than my husband wants to take a vacation?! Its not a vacation for me we font have the money but of course we can save but we can't save for a house?? Plus the kids have to come and I have to be in a ROM with all the girls of his family? What a freaking nice vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
BAM!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

They are 4 and 5. Old enough to know better. I do not negotiate. I do not debate. I am the parent and they are children. They might as well learn how to respect authority asap because they will have it their whole lives. I raise my  children the way my mom raised me. If it's not going to be acceptable at any other point in life, then it won't be tolerated now.

Quoting shygurl3166:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Lol good.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes! If I have to tell you every freaking day to not touch that. I am to my breaking point with kids. A colic baby sends you over the edge. I just wanna punch someone in the face. I can't punch my kids my mind can't go there but I really want to just punch the living day lights out of anyone. Like if someone came and knocked on my door I would want to punch them. I have been dealing with kids to long. Than my husband wants to take a vacation?! Its not a vacation for me we font have the money but of course we can save but we can't save for a house?? Plus the kids have to come and I have to be in a ROM with all the girls of his family? What a freaking nice vacation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Yep. That's why it's so bad with my girls...other people. I do my best to eliminate people from our lives who don't reinforce what we are teaching our girls, but it's just impossible to successfully eliminate every single negative influence. I am so ready for my mother to retire so she can keep them and they won't have to be around other people. If you think I'm strict, you'd think my mom is a spawn out of satan's butthole. She's like Drill Sargent Mom.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't even know what to do with my sassy 3 year old. Nothing works. Talking, time out, spanking. And she mostly only does it to me. Probably doesn't help that every time she does something she's not supposed to, somebody laughs and so she thinks it's cute and continues the behavior.

We're currently staying with MIL and this is the biggest reason I want out ASAP but we're still playing catch up after a few months of no income after DH got out of the military.

So frustrating that I can't even discipline my own kid in this house without somebody else trying to step in. She's MY daughter, it's MY responsibility to handle her behavior. Having 3 people tying to tell her what to do probably just confuses her. Butt the hell out and let me handle it. That's probably also why she doesn't listen well because she's constantly hoping somebody else will tell her what she wants to hear. We didn't have this problem when we were living alone.

Sorry, had to vent. :/ 

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I thought all kids went through the back talking at some point....

MalakbelLacuna
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
The sentence about someone knocking on your door was great

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol good.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)