Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I stopped giving warnings for...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

back talking. Thanks to some little heathens at my girls' preschool whose parents don't keep them in their place, my girls have learned to back talk. One little girl in particular is a major bad influence. Her mom thinks it's funny when she is sassy. I call it disrespect. So now, I have to be the bad guy. I started off telling my girls that it is disrespectful and they are not allowed to back talk to adults. Then I started punishing them after they'd received warnings. Now, no warnings. No being separated from everyone else. No timeouts. If they back talk me, it's an instant spanking. Normally, spanking is a last resort. I don't care for it. But I absolutely will not tolerate sassy, back talking, disrespectful children. When they are told to do something, the most I expect to hear out of them is "Yes ma'am" or "Yes sir". If they don't get their way, I expect them to keep their mouths shut and know their place.

Have you ever stopped giving warnings for any behaviors?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM
im about to do the same, im so tired of my 2 yr old giving me sass all the dang time. were bout to stop that crap, its getting old.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM
We have zero tolerance for back talking too. It's always a nightmare when SD comes back from visiting her mom. She cusses, talks back, throws tantrums. When she comes home and acts that disrespectful she gets a tap on the bum too (and before anyone gets up in arms about me being the SM, I do NOT spank my SD, never have, never will. If she acts bad enough to warrant a spanking her father does it.)

Quoting Anonymous:back talking. Thanks to some little heathens at my girls' preschool whose parents don't keep them in their place, my girls have learned to back talk. One little girl in particular is a major bad influence. Her mom thinks it's funny when she is sassy. I call it disrespect. So now, I have to be the bad guy. I started off telling my girls that it is disrespectful and they are not allowed to back talk to adults. Then I started punishing them after they'd received warnings. Now, no warnings. No being separated from everyone else. No timeouts. If they back talk me, it's an instant spanking. Normally, spanking is a last resort. I don't care for it. But I absolutely will not tolerate sassy, back talking, disrespectful children. When they are told to do something, the most I expect to hear out of them is "Yes ma'am" or "Yes sir". If they don't get their way, I expect them to keep their mouths shut and know their place.
Have you ever stopped giving warnings for any behaviors?
mom_to_kenzie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Lol nice!! Dd started to get mad about until I told her she's had multiple chances to keep her stuff. I flat out refused to even discuss when she could have it back because to me that means "ok, I only have to not stand on my toys for ___ days/hours and I'll get my dollhouse back". I'm sure it'll be back in her room tomorrow, but the point is that she's not going to stand on toys and needs to know there are consequences.
KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

So far only one thing has earned an instant spanking, trouble at school and her stashing food behind the couch yesterday. She doesn't back talk thankfully. If you tell her something its "yes ma'am/sir" and she does it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Lol thank you :)

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

The sentence about someone knocking on your door was great

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol good.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

This whole reply made me laugh so hard!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes! If I have to tell you every freaking day to not touch that. I am to my breaking point with kids. A colic baby sends you over the edge. I just wanna punch someone in the face. I can't punch my kids my mind can't go there but I really want to just punch the living day lights out of anyone. Like if someone came and knocked on my door I would want to punch them. I have been dealing with kids to long. Than my husband wants to take a vacation?! Its not a vacation for me we font have the money but of course we can save but we can't save for a house?? Plus the kids have to come and I have to be in a ROM with all the girls of his family? What a freaking nice vacation.
j3st3r
by Jedi on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM

you sound like a peach.

Mrspotatolips
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Here, here! Discipline (not to be interpreted as beating) is a lost art form nowadays. Disrespect is one of the worst attributes children can develop and they need to learn that is not to be tolerated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I had to do that for a while now all I have to do is give a look and he snaps out of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I'm not going to say you should tolerate disrespect, nor am I saying that you shouldn't parent in the manner that you see fit (i.e. spanking versus non.)

However, to really young children, the lack of warnings could prove to be detrimental.  I give my children reminders....simply because sometimes they don't even realize that they're doing something they shouldn't be.  Warnings give them an opportunity to correct their own behavior -- of course if they don't then naturally I will step in at that point, but you'd be surprised how often....when given the chance....they will self correct.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured