Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I stopped giving warnings for...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

back talking. Thanks to some little heathens at my girls' preschool whose parents don't keep them in their place, my girls have learned to back talk. One little girl in particular is a major bad influence. Her mom thinks it's funny when she is sassy. I call it disrespect. So now, I have to be the bad guy. I started off telling my girls that it is disrespectful and they are not allowed to back talk to adults. Then I started punishing them after they'd received warnings. Now, no warnings. No being separated from everyone else. No timeouts. If they back talk me, it's an instant spanking. Normally, spanking is a last resort. I don't care for it. But I absolutely will not tolerate sassy, back talking, disrespectful children. When they are told to do something, the most I expect to hear out of them is "Yes ma'am" or "Yes sir". If they don't get their way, I expect them to keep their mouths shut and know their place.

Have you ever stopped giving warnings for any behaviors?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (61-65):
AnastasiaKorsh
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Well, I would never have my child call me m'am. our my husband sir. that is wayyyyy too formal.

add far as back talk, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I admit I'm old fashioned. I still call my elders ma'am and sir. I think it's a nice gesture of respect.

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

Well, I would never have my child call me m'am. our my husband sir. that is wayyyyy too formal.

add far as back talk, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Rain2Rinse
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I do not give warnings for talking back, rolling eyes, crossing arms, shrugging, etc. I don't approve of the behaviors. Dd knows I find it disrespectful. I don't spank her for those actions. She does lose privileges, get grounded to the couch, write essays, and things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

If you don't stop the back talk when they are little, you will have hell to pay when they are teens.

My husband and I have zero tolerance for back talk.

Our methods are different than spanking, but if spanking is what works for you, that's what works for you. :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I don't expect complete obedience either. But I do expect respect. I will not accept DS telling me "you do it" or "I don't have to do what you say". We do not spank but we get angry. He will be placed in time out. He will learn that having an attitude will have consequences. The same as if he disobeyed another rule in our house. Because above all, the primary role is to respect everyone. We give him respect, as much as a four-year-old can have, but he is only four.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)