Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you try to be frIends with your husband' s friends' wives?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just because your husband's friend has a wife, do you try to be friends with her?

My husband doesn't need to friends with my friends husbands.
IDK. I just decided to let the ball drop with a "friend" like this. We never got along and it was made really clear we were only trying out of respect for our men, not each other. I'm just over it.
Who says I need to try to be friends with someone just by association? Is that the social norm and I'm just weird?
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I hit it off with several women years ago when I lived in Hawaii. Now that im back in the states I can't hit it off with any women in this uppity town at all. :-(
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM
We are polar opposites religiously and politically. I have been nothing but friendly, kind and cordial with her. But she recently got very aggressive when it came to a parenting choice my hubby and I are making. I've let it go with politics and what not but when you insult my parenting, the mama bear claws come out. And, clearly ... friends don't treat each other like that.

Quoting mollymolly:

Well, it takes both parties to be able to get along.  I would at least remain friendly, if not friends.  Try to find commonalities so that when the four of you get together, you already have some things in mind that you can talk with her about that the two of you have in common.

Josie_P
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
For the most part, yes, I do try. I get along with almost all of them except a handful. And there are some that I rarely see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I pretty much get along with everyone. I know that's surprising, based on my uncanny knack for saying whatever the fuck I want on here.

The wives are no exception. We all genuinely like each other.
unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
He never made me try to be friends with her.

We have gone to dinner together, the four of us. We've had each other over for parties. No forcing. Just attempting to see if it "clicks".

Quoting Raeann11:

My hubby does not hang out with his work friends much at all. When they do it is late after work and they have dinner together. But if he did he would not make me be friends with his friends wives. Just like I don't make he be friends with my girl friends hubby's.

alphamom26
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You aren't weird at all :) My DH and a guy at work tried to get our families together because the other lady and I were both pregnant at the same time and they thought it would be a good idea. Then she went outside to SMOKE over her 8 month pregnant belly, so there went that...I will not be friends with someone who endangers her child like that. FYI, her baby was born at 41 weeks weighing 5 lbs, 14 oz. My DS was born a month later at 39 weeks weighing 7 lbs, 15 oz. My DS was bigger at birth than hers at a month old, it was really sad :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I don't have to "try". We are all friends, we just get along.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM

DH used to push friendships with his friends' gfs/wives on me. It never worked out, so I stopped being receptive.

unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM
That would be nice.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have to "try". We are all friends, we just get along.

unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM
My husband hasn't pushed it. She actually did.

Quoting Anonymous:

DH used to push friendships with his friends' gfs/wives on me. It never worked out, so I stopped being receptive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)