Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL pushing Christianity on our son (update)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH and I are atheists and are choosing to raise our child with that belief.

My MIL is extremely religious and has always been in denial about her son not sharing her Christian faith. We have always been respectful, but not participated in going to church or prayers before meals, which she takes very personally.

Our son is 5 and recently told us that when she watches him, she makes him pray before eating or going to bed (which I would be not thrilled with but okay with), but when he asks why, she says that he'll go to Hell if he doesn't. She told him that she wants him to be baptized with her soon and said that if he goes with her she'll get him a present. The final straw was when he told us that she has said his best friend, who has two moms, doesn't have a real family and that he shouldn't play at their house anymore because they're "not nice" and "scary", which left him in tears.

We talked to her about it and she wasn't apologetic at all, saying "someone needs to teach him some values". I'm still livid and haven't spoken to her since this weekend, and have ignored her calls since. 

Is it an overreaction to not let her be alone with him ever again? I can't stand the thought that she's filling his head with such bullshit and going behind our backs like this. 

Any advice?

UPDATE: we invited MIL over for lunch yesterday. We once again reiterated that we don't appreciate her scaring our son and disrespecting us as parents. She remained unapologetic. We told her that once she apologized, we would consider letting her spend time at our house with him, but not alone.

She continued to refuse to apologize, and she said she's only doing the right thing. So, as of right now, she is not to be around our son in any circumstances. I'm disgusted that she's made it come to this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM

DH's family is very religious and I'd never dream of telling their children that their religious beliefs are stupid or wrong or made up. I have no idea why they can't afford the same respect to us. 

I think not letting her see him alone for awhile and then a strict "if you can't follow the rule, stay away until you can" may be the path we take.

Quoting Zazayam:

My family is pretty 50/50 on religious views. We have a rule that there is to be NO discussion about it with the other side. If you can't follow that rule, you can stay away until you're ready to do so.

I don't think any kid ever needs to worry about being burned in hell for all eternity if they don't agree to love some dude they know nothing about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

So you are actually trying to send your child to hell? 

wow... loser mom of the year! 

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Atheist or not... I wouldn't want any one teaching my child fear of not believing in something.

I consider myself a Christian and never would I tell my son if he didn't pray or chooses not to believe that he is going to hell.

The anti gay comments are uncalled for too. That is one if the major flaws I see with so many so called Christians... Judge not! Love your neighbor...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Pardon me? I don't believe in Hell, so no, I'm not trying to send my child anywhere. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. I would have a problem with her going behind our back on religion anyway, but the fact that she's trying to scare him into it makes me sick. 

Quoting brandydesiree:

Atheist or not... I wouldn't want any one teaching my child fear of not believing in something.

I consider myself a Christian and never would I tell my son if he didn't pray or chooses not to believe that he is going to hell.

The anti gay comments are uncalled for too. That is one if the major flaws I see with so many so called Christians... Judge not! Love your neighbor...

Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Telling him he is going to hell...

Bribing him to be baptized...

Manipulating him against same sex couples to the point of tears...

Do you need to borrow a pair of scissors to cut those ties? Or are you good? Even if you were a Christian, that kind of behavior would not be acceptable.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Besides the gay dig and the Hell thing, I have no beef with the sitch. I think children/ people should be exposed to as many different religions as possible before deciding what's best.

This comes from an agnostic, BTW.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Guess what, if your MIL is wrong your son has lost nothing.

If you're wrong he burns in hell.

You can't prove there is no heaven or hell.

She can't prove there is.

You are gambling with your kids eternal whatever.

So, you have come to the decision that if you're right, great news for son. And if you're wrong you are ok with the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pardon me? I don't believe in Hell, so no, I'm not trying to send my child anywhere. 

Quoting Anonymous:

leximann
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Your Welcome.

Quoting Anonymous:

He doesn't know what church is and hasn't expressed an interest in going. 

Emotional abuse is the perfect word for this. Thank you!

Quoting leximann:

No advice but I don't think its an over reaction at all to not let her be alone with him.  She is making him feel bad for having a friend whom she doesn't aporve of and you obviously do.  Has he expressed an interest in church or is just fine with the way things are?  I wouldn't let my child have to suffer through the emotional abuse it sounds like she is trying to inflict to get her way.  Stand firm mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The gay dig, Hell threats and hateful comments are why I have the issue. 

My son's best friend's moms are Jewish and he's been at this house for a shabbat dinner. One of his teaching aides is Muslim. He knows his entire extended family is Christian. I haven't hidden it from him or sheltered him, but the manipulation and going behind our back when he's too young to understand is the issue I have here. 

Quoting SommelierMom:

Besides the gay dig and the Hell thing, I have no beef with the sitch. I think children/ people should be exposed to as many different religions as possible before deciding what's best.

This comes from an agnostic, BTW.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)