Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL pushing Christianity on our son (update)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My DH and I are atheists and are choosing to raise our child with that belief.

My MIL is extremely religious and has always been in denial about her son not sharing her Christian faith. We have always been respectful, but not participated in going to church or prayers before meals, which she takes very personally.

Our son is 5 and recently told us that when she watches him, she makes him pray before eating or going to bed (which I would be not thrilled with but okay with), but when he asks why, she says that he'll go to Hell if he doesn't. She told him that she wants him to be baptized with her soon and said that if he goes with her she'll get him a present. The final straw was when he told us that she has said his best friend, who has two moms, doesn't have a real family and that he shouldn't play at their house anymore because they're "not nice" and "scary", which left him in tears.

We talked to her about it and she wasn't apologetic at all, saying "someone needs to teach him some values". I'm still livid and haven't spoken to her since this weekend, and have ignored her calls since. 

Is it an overreaction to not let her be alone with him ever again? I can't stand the thought that she's filling his head with such bullshit and going behind our backs like this. 

Any advice?

UPDATE: we invited MIL over for lunch yesterday. We once again reiterated that we don't appreciate her scaring our son and disrespecting us as parents. She remained unapologetic. We told her that once she apologized, we would consider letting her spend time at our house with him, but not alone.

She continued to refuse to apologize, and she said she's only doing the right thing. So, as of right now, she is not to be around our son in any circumstances. I'm disgusted that she's made it come to this. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously? Do you raise your children in every religion there is, just in case one or the other is right?

Why would I pick Christianity, out of all of them, to pretend to be and raise him in when any of the others could be equally as right? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Guess what, if your MIL is wrong your son has lost nothing.

If you're wrong he burns in hell.

You can't prove there is no heaven or hell.

She can't prove there is.

You are gambling with your kids eternal whatever.

So, you have come to the decision that if you're right, great news for son. And if you're wrong you are ok with the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pardon me? I don't believe in Hell, so no, I'm not trying to send my child anywhere. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So you are actually trying to send your child to hell? 

wow... loser mom of the year! 

jojo_star
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Wow, I'd be pissed. That is close to abuse, telling a child things like that, that he is in tears, and scared. Threatening him with hell, telling him a loving family isn't a real family? What kind of a sick, twisted person tells a child that? I wouldn't let her around him until he is old enough to think for himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a devout Christian, but I have to say, teaching him to fear, and teaching him to judge is seriously messed up. There needs ot be some serious boundaries put in place before he spends any more time with her. While I may not agree with your beliefs, I agree that your authority as a parent has been undermined in a serious way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Cut her off.  None of you need to deal with her shit.  When she can grow up and respect you and your family, maybe she can have some supervised visits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Honestly, DH said he wanted to totally cut her off until she learned how to act and I told him he was talking in the heat of the moment, but the fact that what she's doing does seem abusive and sneaky is making me see where his and your viewpoint is coming from.

Quoting Anonymous:

Cut her off.  None of you need to deal with her shit.  When she can grow up and respect you and your family, maybe she can have some supervised visits.

xoxRachelxox
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I don't think it's over reacting. 

She's not respecting you and your husband's wishes to raise your child atheist. You have every right to do so. 

She also shouldn't be putting bigoted shit into his head. 

I wouldn't let her around him alone anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

So you're raising your kids Christian... and Jewish... and Muslim... and Scientologist... and Hindu... and Sikh... and Shinto... and EVERY religion listed here?

Quoting Anonymous:

Guess what, if your MIL is wrong your son has lost nothing.

If you're wrong he burns in hell.

You can't prove there is no heaven or hell.

She can't prove there is.

You are gambling with your kids eternal whatever.

So, you have come to the decision that if you're right, great news for son. And if you're wrong you are ok with the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pardon me? I don't believe in Hell, so no, I'm not trying to send my child anywhere. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So you are actually trying to send your child to hell? 

wow... loser mom of the year! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM

As a devout Christian, how would you suggest I approach her to discuss this when she doesn't think she's done anything wrong?

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm a devout Christian, but I have to say, teaching him to fear, and teaching him to judge is seriously messed up. There needs ot be some serious boundaries put in place before he spends any more time with her. While I may not agree with your beliefs, I agree that your authority as a parent has been undermined in a serious way.

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

No it is not an over reaction to not let her be alone with your son again.  She doesn't respect your parenting and she makes your son cry by saying mean things about his friends.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Sounds like my dad's wife..

I'd cut her off until she gets some sense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)