Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I get mad at my brain damaged DD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

I have a 10 year daughter who functions at about the level of a 5 year old. She has brain damage from a birth injury. It is really frustrating sometimes. She also has major language issues. I am such a terrible mom, sometimes I get really mad at her when I explain things over and over and she just does get it. I hate getting mad, and I know it isn't her fault, but I feel like it is a never ending struggle. Why can't we ever have an easy time? Why don't we get to have a normal child? One who will grow up and go to college? Why can't we just communicate easily and send her to regular school and have typical life? I love her so much, but life is so hard, and it will never get better. We did everything right, and we ended up in this crappy position and there are crack head mothers who abuse beat their kids and they get to have normal, healthy children...why??

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM

lots and lots of hugs.  i have no advice, my situation is different but similar in some ways.  breathe and have a drink.

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I'm sorry :( I can imagine that being hard...do you have a good support group?
2Sparrows4ever
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM
(((((HUGS))))) you are a strong woman
BraydensMama163
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM
3 moms liked this
It's hard having children with issues. Maybe you should try therapy for the both of you. You probably automatically expect her to respond rather age level.and its annoyi.g when she can't. I get it. You need some classes that can help you deal with her better and manage your own feelings better. There is no shame in looking for help when you know.you have reached.your limit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM

No. We moved away from DH's family so she could go to a special school, and my family is not a part of my life (for good reasons.)

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

i hear ya....i get frustrated with my brain damaged dh

buttercup627
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM
You need a vacation, time away from dd, to give yourself a break. I really believe that parents deserve time away from their children whether they're normal or challenged everyone needs q break :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Its just so hard knowing that it will never get better. She will never be like all the other kids, no matter how well she is doing "for her". This is forever.

Quoting BraydensMama163:

It's hard having children with issues. Maybe you should try therapy for the both of you. You probably automatically expect her to respond rather age level.and its annoyi.g when she can't. I get it. You need some classes that can help you deal with her better and manage your own feelings better. There is no shame in looking for help when you know.you have reached.your limit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM

And you know that they can't possibly change it, and it isn't their fault, but it doesn't make it easier.

Quoting Anonymous:

i hear ya....i get frustrated with my brain damaged dh

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Id try and find a group that is similar to what your going through. So you can go have coffee and vent. Or friends too. Time for youself will help a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. We moved away from DH's family so she could go to a special school, and my family is not a part of my life (for good reasons.)

Quoting Mommynwife26:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)