Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT 3 test results!!! EDIT 2 edited with examples! pediatric nutritionist said to feed her junk

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 482 Replies
4 moms liked this
I took my 22 month old daughter to a pediatric endocrinologist this week (to have thyroid levels checked) While we were there she offered for a pediatric nutritionist to come in and talk with me too. I am open to suggestions, so I agreed. I can't believe some of the things she recommended! Some suggestions were great and dd already eats some of the things recommended, but some of them were crazy. If I implemented a lot of the suggestions, I feel like I would be teaching her to eat junk. I am not over the top on nutrition...my kids are allowed "junk food" in moderation. The entire time she was going over the list, I was thinking ohhhh, cafe mom will love this! LOL!

This children's hospital has a great reputation, especially in endocrinology. I am still just shocked!

Eta some suggestions:bologna, fried cchicken, Vienna sausages, fruit dip made of marshmallow creme and creme cheese, buttered popcorn, which in moderation buttered popcorn I have no problem with. She suggested adding butter or margerine to anything I could. Mayo and salad dressings added heavy. Add gravey to meats and potatoes. Making milkshakes and adding additional condensed milk. Snack pack of fruits in heavy syrup. Spread slices of bread with butter before making a sandwich. Using mayonnaise add mayo to mashed potatoes to add calories, use heavy butter, and mayo on snacks and at meals. Some suggestion for meals were fried chicken, Vienna sausages, and other high sodium low nutrient foods. There were some great suggestions too, but why teach a child to eat like this?? Suggested adding cream cheese, butter and margerine or mayonaisse heavily on sandwiches. Snack pack pudding is on here. As well as juice boxes.

Pics on page 9

Edit #2: there were some great suggestions on the list too. Cool snack ideas, examples of good fats, good "milkshake" recipes. It wasn't all bad advice, just some of it was shocking.

Just got the call that her thyroid test was normal!!!!! I am one happy momma right now! Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Yikes

dominic062407
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Well what were the suggestions
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this

what kinda junk do they want you to give her?

MommyChristina1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
3 moms liked this
My ds's peds nutritionist did the same thing! I just disregarded almost everything she said. It's crazy.
daisybaby91
by lipstick on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
2 moms liked this

What was it specifically that she was suggesting you feed her?

Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Examples please?

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

What are some of the examples of junk? What you consider crazy may actually be healthier than you think.

Midnite00
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this

the sad thing is most doctors are not really trained in true nutrition.  My daughter's nutritionist suggested she eat lunch meats... she told her she was vegetarian. The woman's answer shocked me... she told her to stop that, she was using that as a eating disorder... WHAT??? So yea my daughter did more research on the food to eat and making sure that she gets protein.  PS this for migraines.  I agree with "junk food" in moderation.... cause you always want what you can't have... 

ZombieMeat
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Many so called nutrionists haven't the slightest idea about proper nutrition and I would take their advice with a grain of salt.
CrimsonGrace
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Add mayo to mashed potatoes to add calories, use heavy butter, and mayo on snacks and at meals. Some suggestion for meals were fried chicken, Vienna sausages, and other high sodium low nutrient foods. There were some great suggestions too, but why teach a child to eat like this???

Quoting dominic062407:

Well what were the suggestions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)