Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can I fire him for being fat?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 333 Replies
1 mom liked this
We just hired this guy at work(local smoothie cafe type place) and he's over weight. The other day I asked him to sweep out front. He came back sweating like a pig and heavily breathing. I was seriously concerned he would pass out or have a heart attack.

He's always bumping in to things and sweating. It's unpleasant because he works around food. I can't have him walking around like he's going to pass out while making simple things like sandwiches!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM
Bump
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM
7 moms liked this
Why'd you hire him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM
I didn't. One of the other managers did but that manager doesn't even work here anymore :p

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Why'd you hire him?
hunnybunny2001
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM
2 moms liked this
Yeah that's gross I would walk out of a shop that had someone making food sweaty like that.. but idk if you can fire him
bowlingmom06
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM
13 moms liked this

Unless he does something against policy, you have no grounds....unless you want a discrimination lawsuit against you.

areles
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM
7 moms liked this
fat isn't a protected class. and most employment is at will.

Quoting bowlingmom06:

Unless he does something against policy, you have no grounds....unless you want a discrimination lawsuit against you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:38 AM
IDK if for being fat, but maybe next time you ask him to sweep, or when he's bumping into stuff. Make a big deal and say have seat you look so flushed are you ok do you need me to call Dr, etc maybe he'll quit! Or maybe just maybe being around smoothies he'll shed a few lbs!
CV3
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM
2 moms liked this

Dont you have a probationary period where you can fire him for no reason?

CheesyKitty
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Honestly he won't last long. Just wait it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Ugh that's another thing. We're not supposed to sit down unless its dead slow or the person has been working past 4 hours. He plops right down in a chair the second he finishes up food. I tell him all the time we are not allowed to sit down yet he does it all the time.

Quoting Supervane:

IDK if for being fat, but maybe next time you ask him to sweep, or when he's bumping into stuff. Make a big deal and say have seat you look so flushed are you ok do you need me to call Dr, etc maybe he'll quit! Or maybe just maybe being around smoothies he'll shed a few lbs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)