Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did you attend a public or private school?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 50 Replies
What type of school did you attend? Do you think it was the best choice for you? Why? Has it influenced your choice of schools for your children?

I attended both. Mostly public. Suburban. innercity. I actually switched schools more than any kid should have to. In my city public schools have a stigma although there are some great public schools here. I liked being in a public school because of the diversity and it being less clicky. But I ultimately feel I would have been better off in a small school; public or private. To allow opportunity for more engagement. Or now that I think about it, better off with less schools period. Haha. I'd like my kids to have everything I didn't have. Cant find the perfect school.
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I went to mostly private. I did spend 3 years in public.

Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I went to both. I liked the public for the diversity like you said. I did better education wise in the private.

My son will go to public school if he struggles he will be put in a private school.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I went to a public school. . Just like in anything there were good & bad. I had some wonderful teachers & some horrible ones. I was bullied a lot though so it wasn't the best of times for me.

I homeschool for many reasons. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Public in a rural school district, so small classrooms and good teachers.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Both went 1-3 in public 3-7 in private and 8-12 in public. Private is by far better but I can't afford 420 a month plus cost of uniform.
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I attended public schools only.  I was in a public school in a small suburban school district from K through 9th grade.  Then I transferred to the large, urban, high school for 10th through 12th grades (we didn't live in that school district so I was a tuition student there).  My schools were exactly what I needed....especially the school I graduated from (they had an AWESOME art department that I couldn't get at the small school).

the choice of schools for our kids was no influenced by how DH and I grew up, but it was completely based on what was (and is) the best choice for each of our kids at that moment in time.  Our kids have been in many types of school.....public, private-religious, private-secular, public-religious, and public-non-religious (hard to explain that one unless you live here, but it is religious without being too religious).

Mommy_Natural
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Both, mostly public. Public until middle school, private high school. I hated the private school and skipped regularly. I graduated with a 4.0 so I obviously was ok. It was very relaxed, I would say I had to leave early to pick up my brother or to go to the doctor and they would just say ok and not question me. I feel kind of bad now, but hey I was just a teen trying to rebel. My kids will Go to public school as I am a teacher and work in a public school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Public. It sucked. In high school I dreaded every single day. It was hell.

Dreamly
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Public. I didn't have any bad things to say about it. But, it was in a big city (Houston). My dd goes to a small town public school and they suck ass. This next year I'm going to be their worst nightmare. We don't have any private schools within an hour drive from us.

nelliesmommy
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

public and than homeschool and graduated at 16. I hated public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)