Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

AAP finally changes carseat requirements

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/aaps-new-car-seat-guidelines-change-rear-facing-booster-rules-2466904.html

About time. Your doctor will now start telling you to RF to two.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Replies (41-50):
childofgod04
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
My sons pedi told us at his 9 month appt. that he needs to be RF until 2. We go for his 12 month appt. next week and I'm sure he'll say the same.
EcoModernMom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM

i go by our carseat guidlines..to the max weight/height.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

We turned DD at 1, We couldn't take her really anywhere because she would scream so hard it would make her throw up, Having to get pulled over on the highway to pull your baby out of their seat because they are choking on their own vomit was terrifying. She kept getting respiratory infections from aspirating her vomit and it really hindered what we could do with her. Parks were out since there were none in walking distance. No way in HELL were were travelling an hour by car to the zoo or aquarium with her, play groups were all at a distance we would need to drive, grocery shopping all together was out, one of us had to stay home with dd. It was a nighmare, we talked to her pediatrician and he said to give FF a shot, even though it was earlier than he would usually reccomend. He said the very real chance of one of these infections collapsing a lung and killing her was much greater than the chance of an accident causing internal decapitation and basically we needed to weight the risks of a vehicular accident or continued respiratory infections and choose which felt like more of an immediate danger. It was not a decision we made lightly, we had hoped to go to 2 as the minimum and see where it went from there, but shit happens. She is now 2 and hasn't had a respiratory infection since and loves to go in the car. Its a whole different experience and I wouldn't change a thing about it. 

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Damn sucks for my child at 1 he was 40 pounds and 42 inches, which is why I didn't RF when he was pass one in fact he was 10 months old when I switched him because the seat I had was 35 pounds and the ONLY RF model at the time of his birth with a higher RF was $350 which was a NO to me. I grow giants and it pisses me off, right now he is 6 and 54 inches, and yet because of damn CAR SEAT NAZIs that only think of the average child, he has to be in a booster til he is 8!!!! REALLY HE IS GOING TO BE PUSHING 6 FEET by then, I was 6 foot by 10, his sperm donor was 8 inches taller than me.

Now I hope I don't have another tall baby because RF them until two will REALLY SUCK!!!!

Your 1 y/o was 42 inches wow I couldn't imagine that, my daughter just turned 3 last month and is 39 inches and 32lbs, most people think she is tall for her age lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Yep, my son has always been off the chart, he was going on upside down roller coaster 48 inches when he was 4. I know he is the exception but most of the RULES don't allow for exception on the extreme TALL side just the short side. :(

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Damn sucks for my child at 1 he was 40 pounds and 42 inches, which is why I didn't RF when he was pass one in fact he was 10 months old when I switched him because the seat I had was 35 pounds and the ONLY RF model at the time of his birth with a higher RF was $350 which was a NO to me. I grow giants and it pisses me off, right now he is 6 and 54 inches, and yet because of damn CAR SEAT NAZIs that only think of the average child, he has to be in a booster til he is 8!!!! REALLY HE IS GOING TO BE PUSHING 6 FEET by then, I was 6 foot by 10, his sperm donor was 8 inches taller than me.

Now I hope I don't have another tall baby because RF them until two will REALLY SUCK!!!!

Your 1 y/o was 42 inches wow I couldn't imagine that, my daughter just turned 3 last month and is 39 inches and 32lbs, most people think she is tall for her age lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It's funny when the AAP recommends vaccines or circumcising they are a bunch of monsters that don't know shit but now that they recommend this they are just oh so smart and we should listen to them! SMFH! 

krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM
mine too! hes 16mo and 32 1/4in. idk where mykds get this height. im 4'11

Quoting pregnantmama105:

well the carseat we have rf until 36inch (height) or 40lbs(what ever comes first)... my son is already 32 inch. so I hope  he doesnt reach 36inch before two... hes growing like a weed. btw he is 17 months

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What 5 year old is only 42 inches? all of his FRIENDS were 42 inches at 3, and some of them arent tall for their age. My son is always messuring two-three years older than he. He just turned 6.

Quoting hautemama83:

Your one year old was the size of a five year old?

Bullshit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Well most first world countries pediatricians recommend rear facing until two. Some its even the law until four.
The US stands alone in circumsision. In many countries its illegal.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's funny when the AAP recommends vaccines or circumcising they are a bunch of monsters that don't know shit but now that they recommend this they are just oh so smart and we should listen to them! SMFH! 

babie113
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Good its so much safer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)