Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For all the moms saying they can feed their families on a budget

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

I honestly want to know how you do it. I was never taught how to cook growing up and I have slowly been teaching myself, but I always have to have a recipe. I am sick of all the crap my family is eating and how much we are spending a month ($600 for 3 people!) You honestly make it seem so easy, you act like other moms are stupid for not being able to do it. I admit I am stupid then, because I really don't see how you do it. So please, please, please help me! I want to know what healthy meals you make for your families that you say are so cheap, because I am sick of boxed and processed junk. The only thing we can't have are beans and soups.

ETA: I noticed a lot of you are saying to make a menu and stick to my list, and I do that already. But I can't think of cheap meals other than the stuff we already eat which is crap.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WendyJR
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM
4 moms liked this
100 days of real food is a great website. She even has tips for shopping on a budget.
100daysofrealfood.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jcothrine
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM

bump for ideas because i spend 360 every two weeks and mostly that is for just my hubby and me..

now we are obese and i have tried to control portions but that usually doesn't work....

JC

daughteroftruth
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, for me the biggest thing is I know how to cook.  But if you can fallow a recipe, you can learn to cook. 

I make a menu for all meals and snacks, I think ahead.. like if I'm going ot cook a turkey on Sunday, I'm going ot make turkey soup the next day, and use the left over meat for things like enchiladas, pulled bbq sandwiches, fried rice, stir fry, ect. 

Once I make my menu, I make my shopping list and i stick to it. 

Once you have a menu, look at it and ask yourself, can I make this myself from scratch? 

lunarmamma
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I am going to check that out, thank you. My family of 5 needs all the help I can get.

Quoting WendyJR:

100 days of real food is a great website. She even has tips for shopping on a budget.

100daysofrealfood.com

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I second this. This website is pretty awesome. It's what inspired me a lot to change how we eat.

Quoting WendyJR:

100daysofrealfood.com

"Let me know that You hear me, Let me know Your touch. Let me know that You love me & let that be enough" Switchfoot

dancermom66
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Thanks I need to check that out.

Quoting WendyJR:

100daysofrealfood.com

BaltimoreBaby
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I do it by buying 'staple' items...

whole wheat flour

milk

eggs

butter

onion

celery

carrots

tomatos

garlic

fish

chicken

Beef 

potatoes

rice

veggies (corn, peas, green beans)

With those items you have about 10/12 meals ATLEAST

VannaMae307
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I spend about that much a month...the difference is, I don't really want to try budgeting. If I needed to, I could, because we used to eat on $200 a month...but now, we don't need to...we like our food around here lol dh is the only one that gains weight and then he runs PT every morning and works it off.

delilahsmom1177
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I would google some site with kid friendly foods. There are great recipies for a good budget. Good luck momma.

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

MythrylHavoc
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM

While you are learning to cook I recommend making lists before  you shop and planning out  a menu. I also shop with a calculator. I grab what we need first and the calculator shows me what i have spent s my budget. From there I get the extra stuff like extra snacks or treats. We spend about $300-$350 for a family of 5 that way. My kids and hubby hate when I shop because I  don't buy much for chips and such but they do get some of those treats. I get cheese crackers yogurt things like that instead for snacks.Also coupons

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN