Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So pissed at the ER. What should we do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 195 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay so last week our 4 year old dd threw up three times in one night and was running a high fever so I took her to the pedi and he said she had the flu and gave me some medicine for the throwing up and told me to give her childrens Tylenol. That was the 6th. She got sick the night of the 5th. Okay so she stopped throwing up but still had a high fever. So I kept on giving her Tylenol. On Sunday she spiked to a fever of 103.5 even with me giving her medicine so I ran her to the ER because if her fever got any higher she would start to have seizes from the fever. Well at the ER all the did was that her temperature and run a test for strut throat. Why I don't know because she didn't have a soar throat just a realllllly high fever for no reason. Well the test came back negative and they just told us to keep giving her childrens Tylenol and sent us home. WTF!!!!!!!!!!! The medicine wasn't working and a child doesn't have a high fever for this long without a reason. So on Tuesday I got so mad and demanded a appointment to see her pedi and decided I wasn't leaving until someone found out what was wrong. Well I didn't have to worry because dd's pedi is a excellent pedi. Well they took her weight and she lost 7 pounds because she has been so sick she hasn't eaten and barely drank anything. Even when I bribed her with her favorite foods. Okay so this time dd pedi agreed with me something was wrong and it wasn't the flu. So we had to use a catheter on her because she hasn't drank much so thus nothing would come out either. To run a urine test. and they ran a blood test and low and behold. She had a realllllllly bad UTI!!!!!!!! I was sooooooo pissed. The ER would of found this out if they really put in a effort to actually find out what was wrong with our dd. But noooooooo they didn't even try. Myself, my dh and our mil are pissed at the Er for not even trying to help our dd. I want to complain to someone so no one goes what I went through but I am not sure what to do. What would you do? Would you complain, sue, demand money back, anything, nothing? What would you do in our situation?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klind523
by Kim on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I don't think you can sue, byt i wouldn't take her back there if you feel that way.

dancer
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Complain to the supervisor that was incharge that night.

2kids19yrsapart
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you to to a Children's Hospital or just the closest hospital to you?  Childrens Hospitals usually take more time, run more tests, etc.

I hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

The closest Childrens hospital is a four hour drive from here. So I took her to the closest hospital with a half a hour drive from here.

Did you to to a Children's Hospital or just the closest hospital to you?  Childrens Hospitals usually take more time, run more tests, etc.

I hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM
34 moms liked this
Ok, there is just so many things wrong I don't know where to start with you. Ok, first of all your child will not have a seizure from her temperature going to a certain degree. You need to research what a febrile seizure is and what causes them. It is from a sudden spike up or down in temperature, NOT how high it goes. For her fever that high, you should have been giving her Motrin. There is nothing for you to be pissed at the er about, or sue. They did what any er would do with the symptoms your child had. If your 4 yr old had said it hurts when I pee, they would have done a urinalysis. Your dd symptoms matched thestomach flu so that's what they treated her for. A virus.
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM
8 moms liked this

Fuck!

It's really hard to understand you because you are writing like a 5 year old.

The ER treated your DD.  That is what they are there for, acute medicine.  You can complain if you would like but suing, really?  What would you sue for?  Or are you just sue happy?  You should be glad that your child is fine and that it was just a UTI and nothing more.  UTIs in children are missed a lot.

Your Ped had all of the equipment in the office to figure out what was wrong, that is where you went first.  That is who you should be upset with.  If THEY would have caught it first you would not have had to go to the ER.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm pretty sure I love you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, there is just so many things wrong I don't know where to start with you. Ok, first of all your child will not have a seizure from her temperature going to a certain degree. You need to research what a febrile seizure is and what causes them. It is from a sudden spike up or down in temperature, NOT how high it goes. For her fever that high, you should have been giving her Motrin. There is nothing for you to be pissed at the er about, or sue. They did what any er would do with the symptoms your child had. If your 4 yr old had said it hurts when I pee, they would have done a urinalysis. Your dd symptoms matched thestomach flu so that's what they treated her for. A virus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The paramedic told her if her fever gets to 104 or higher she could have a seizer. I am just repeating what he said. He said that after he took her temepture and it was 103.5.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Seems to me, you don't understand that doctors go by the symptoms they are given. They are also not miracle workers. They are humans who make mistakes. 

Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this
You called an ambulance?

Quoting Anonymous:

The paramedic told her if her fever gets to 104 or higher she could have a seizer. I am just repeating what he said. He said that after he took her temepture and it was 103.5.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)