Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Arrest made! Would you stop your car if... **UPDATE** *edit* **warning, possible trigger**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 370 Replies
1 mom liked this

**Warning: possible trigger**

Would you stop your car if you were driving through a bad neighborhood on a 4 lane road (2 in each direction) at midnight if you felt like you ran over something that was around 20 lbs with your SUV? Residential area, curb is lined with trash cans but its still a bigger road with a 35 mph-ish speed limit. Would you stop at midnight if it felt like you ran over a 20 lb dog?

Edit: http://illinoishomepage.net/fulltext?nxd_id=501002

Toddler killed in hit-and-run

Updated: June 13, 2013
Update: 5:09 pm
DECATUR -- Just after midnight on Thursday, someone driving on Garfield Avenue hit and killed a toddler. Moms here say it should never have happened. The sight is still stuck in their minds. WCIA-3's Anna Carrera has more on the tragedy. 

Those women are holding their children a little closer tonight. Even if they don't know the people involved, these women say their hearts go out to the family. Everything from the morning feels surreal, but the chalk markings on the road remind them it actually happened. 

"He heard what he thought was a gunshot, so I called 911," said Alice Eckart, who lives on Garfield Avenue.  

But it wasn't a gunshot. It was the sound of a car hitting 20-month old Zyonne Cooper. The sounds after that were just as horrific. 

"I heard a mother screaming, 'my baby, my baby,'" said Eckart. "And when you hear a mom scream like that, you know something's wrong." 

"All I could hear was people screaming and crying," said Phylicia Mann, who also lives on Garfield Avenue. "It was just so emotional." 

Neighbors say the driver may not have seen the toddler because of how dark it was and because trash cans lined the road for pick-up. 

"I don't think he did," said Eckart. "He just hit and kept going." 

But they still say that's no excuse for not stopping. 

"Sometimes people in the world can be careless of their actions," said Mann. "People should just watch their speed and watch where they're doing on the road, especially at night." 

Neighbors say this stretch of Garfield Avenue is busier than your typical neighborhood. 

"Being a mom, having a 9-year old, that's why I told her, 'I don't want you to ride your bike or cross the street. Because, if you do, look both ways. If you don't, then this is what could happen,'" said Eckart.  

Now they just hope it doesn't ever happen again. 

"I'm really sorry for their loss," said Eckart. "I know I don't know that child, but I'm a mom and I really hope she's okay and I hope they find the guy that did it." 

Investigators say the driver is a white man who was wearing a white shirt and driving a white 1990's Ford Explorer or SUV with tinted windows. 

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers. You can remain anonymous and may earn a cash reward. 

Decatur & Macon County Crime Stoppers
(217) 423 - TIPS
https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTips.aspx?AgencyID=180
Text: DPD333 + info to CRIMES (274637)

Original: 8:30 am
DECATUR -- Police are investigating a fatal hit and run. It happened about midnight Thursday in the 2500-block of East Garfield. 20-month old Zyonne Coooper was struck and killed by a vehicle after wandering into the street. 

The suspect vehicle is a 1990's, white, 4-door Ford Explorer or similar type SUV with tinted windows. The suspect driver is a white man who was wearing a white shirt. He fled the scene traveling west. There may be damage to the passenger front end of the vehicle.  

UPDATE:

Based on witness accounts, the suspect vehicle is being described as a white, four door, 1995 to 2000 Ford Explorer. Witnesses described the suspect vehicle having the following distinct features:

-Black or dark colored plastic trim that covered the top of the wheel wells and running along the underside of the doors of the vehicle.

-Rear chrome bumper with a black or dark colored plastic trim on the top of the rear bumper.

-Chrome colored grill with the Ford logo in the center of the grill. 

-Tinted windows. 

-Clean and well maintained.

-The vehicle may have minor damage to the front bumper of grill area of the vehicle as a result of the crash.

The suspect driver is described as a white male, mid 30's to early 40's, short, possibly balding hair, possibly wearing prescription glasses. Police say the suspect may have been visiting a location on the east side of Decatur prior to or after the deadly crash.

**They have THAT much info on what the car and driver look like but no one could see the kid wandering in the street?? REALLY?***

Second edit:

DECATUR -- Police say an arrest has been made involving a hit and run case that killed a toddler.

A 24-year-old man was arrested around 7:30 Sunday morning at a home about two miles away from the incident. The suspect car -- a white 2000 Ford Explorer -- was found at a home on the city's east side. The man was booked for a preliminary charge of leaving the scene of a fatal accident.

**Hum, huge change from the short old balding man they originally described.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

No.  I would turn around to see what I ran over and if it was an animal, I would call the non-emergency police line.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

What if you couldn't see because its dark?

Quoting Anonymous:

No.  I would turn around to see what I ran over and if it was an animal, I would call the non-emergency police line.

amberlyp
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. I chased a little dog along the highway in my car the other day :( I couldn't catch him. I stopped three separate times
pj2becca21
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

um no! are you crazy! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

You wouldn't stop no matter what? Even if you weren't 100% sure what you hit?

Quoting pj2becca21:

um no! are you crazy! 

anotherhalf
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
7 moms liked this

That's what headlights are for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not THAT dark if you are using your headlights.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I'm not going to risk my life for a dog,

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not stop. I'd find the next available place to turn around and then go back and investigate, with my doors locked and my brights on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you know if its a dog though? It feels like a 20 lb dog, but it could be a 20 lb anything!

Quoting wkukid:

Nope. I'm not going to risk my life for a dog,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)