Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I tell my daughters it's okay to be gay !!!

Posted by   + Show Post
They are 3 & 4, I tell them all the time it's okay to have a wife if you are a girl or a husband if you are a boy. I get alot of grief for it from dh family. I don't really care tho, I want my kids to know its okay and know that I will still love them if they one day love a women.

How old where your kids when you told them its okay to be gay. If you haven't told them what age will you tell them? If you don't approve of gay relationships will you make it known to your child? And at what age?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Replies (21-30):
AlleyCat08
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM
I tell mine it is really okay to be straight and love the other gender. Either way, if safe sex isn't practiced, disease is spread. My dh and I are constantly talking to them about safe sex, if they decide to have sex before marriage. My dh and I are to young to be grandparents (dh is 46, and I am 31. my sk are 16 and 13)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I've never seen a need to really address it. We have several gay family members, and several more gay friends, so they've been raised knowing it's normal and that there's nothing wrong with it.

Liyoness
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I don't use the word gay at all; I simply express their right to love/marry either a boy or girl. It's a normal thing in our house, not something we make a distinction between.
CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM
6 moms liked this

I think it's weird to be telling a little kid anything about being gay. Especially being so specific.  I mean, I understand telling your children you'll love them no matter what. But to specify "being gay" seems odd .

zoo003
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I always emphasize that I do not care who my children love, just that the person should treat them with love, respect and compassion.   I just want happy, healthy relationships for my children and couldn't care less if they are straight, gay or bisexual. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I'd just say you don't have to get married/ You can get married. It's up to you. Type thing. And not differentiate from gender/nationality/race/sexuality/ ect.. different

Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Ill let my kids choose for themselves once they are old enough to know their own feelings.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Yes. I think so too. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Good for you!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I tell my boys that they will be married to girls.  Boys marry girls and girls marry boys and anything else is wrong.   They are 5.5 and 8. 

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I don't remember how old my son was when he actually ASKED (I've never shielded homosexuality from him) but he was around 4 I believe. I told him it was fine. We are an accepting family.

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Dh and i have several very close friends that are gay or lesbian and also are friends with a polymarriage triad. My dd is very aware that there are many different forms of love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)