Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"I'm a volunteer firefighter - ask me anything!"

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 89 Replies
1 mom liked this

CafeMom member shiningjoy has been a volunteer firefighter since 2008, and she has a long family history of serving the community in this way!

Quote:

"I came from a family of firefighters: My grandfather, mother, step-father, father, brother, uncle, aunt, and several cousins.  I grew up in the fire dept.  I love it.  I am working on getting on the full time dept in my new town, I just have to get my certifications transfered over to this state.  I have my fire science degree.  I was the only girl in my class and the oldest! 

My dept averaged as many calls a year as a full time dept usually does and we didn't do EMS calls, but worked with EMS.  We covered some EMS calls when they needed help, a lot of our dept were also full time EMS.  I took my EMS class but hadn't gotten to the full time part yet.  Carbon dioxide calls, accidents, along with powerlines, trees, floods, any chemical spills, fires of course.  We taught fire safety to the preschool classes and k-4.  I also worked as a 911 dispatcher, that was my full time job."

Wondering what it's like to be a mom and a firefighter? Now's your chance to pick her brain! She'll be checking in this weekend to answer your questions.

(Click here to learn more about our featured "Ask Me Anything" featured posts and learn how to submit your own story!)

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM
4 moms liked this

I have only one burning desire... let me stand next to your fire

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Most surrounding towns here have 100% volunteer only fire departments. What do you think of that? Do you think everyone only being on call causes things to get more out of hand then if there was a standing department waiting for a call? How do they contact you and how fast do you have to respond? Does your husband or so do something along the same lines ( police etc) Does he worry about you doing it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I couldn't do it but thank you for rushing in when others won't!
IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My DH started his career in the volunteer department. Now he's a firefighter for City of Atlanta Fire.
mom_of_twingirl
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I am also part of our fire company, I am going to be a firefighter later this summer. I come from a long line of volunteers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM
My father is the chief of our volunteer fire department. It is volunteer but once you hit a certain rank you do start getting paid. It's not much and def not enough to make that your career but its still something! Is yours the same way?
shiningjoy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I love being a firefighter.  I guess it's in my blood! Ever been curious?  Just ask!

shiningjoy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

The dept I was on was a 100% volunteer. Our responce time usually averaged 5 min by the time the first truck rolled out the door.  A lot of times less.  I lived across the street so I had a pretty quit time. I don't think our time is to much difference than full times.  Full times still have to make sure everything is off in the dept like the stove and stuff, and usually have more traffic to make their way through on the way there.  Plus if it is a fire call, we already have our mutual aid stations on the way.  I have noticed that at accident calls our police and fire are full time right in town and we all make it to the scene about the same time.  The thing now with fires, is that new construction homes are built with light weight materials and burn a lot faster.  Our time to go in is a lot less now. We all have pagers that go off when we have a call.  Each town has a special tone, and when your tone goes off it is very loud.  What is really funny is when my family gets together, I worked in a different county just next town over from my mom, So when one of our pagers went of my mom, myself, and my step-father were all jumping up.  Their town was also our mutual aid so if we needed assistance we called them alot...We have red lights in our personal vehicles.  It helps with getting through traffic.  We do have to stop at all lights and stop signs though.  My husband is very supportive.  He is active duty military, I am prior service.  It can be dangerous but we both understand.  I believe he worries, but we both have a strong belief in "if it's our time, it's our time. "  My daughter I do have some problems, she over worries.  I had to make sure she wasn't listening anymore. She picks up bits and peices of our over air conversations and gets upset.  I think I covered them all!!! Any more feel free to ask!!

Quoting lasombrs:

Most surrounding towns here have 100% volunteer only fire departments. What do you think of that? Do you think everyone only being on call causes things to get more out of hand then if there was a standing department waiting for a call? How do they contact you and how fast do you have to respond? Does your husband or so do something along the same lines ( police etc) Does he worry about you doing it?

shiningjoy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I love every aspect of it! Good luck!! Just listen to your old timers, they really do know best!!!

Quoting mom_of_twingirl:

I am also part of our fire company, I am going to be a firefighter later this summer. I come from a long line of volunteers.

Gorilla_Mama
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

No questions, my dh is one too and I help with their fundraising so I know a lot of the ins and outs of it. Thanks for the service you do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)