Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me understand

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
  • 5 Replies
Hi all..
Last night there was a post (that's now gone) about a lady who is on PA SNAP benefits. Now I do not care about the post but a comment got me thinking. Someone had commented about the fact that this women adopted her child seemingly when she was getting assistance. Now this wasn't the case as the adoption supposedly happened before the rough times but this sparked my interest.

I am a CPS worker for my state and see the hundreds of kids just in my office awaiting adoption. Most will not find permanent homes before 18 :(. Anyway if there is a family that needs SNAP support that's can otherwise provide a great home for a child should someone be appalled at this?

Now I'm not speaking in that ladies specific situation at all. But in Fostwr care we the tax payer pay so much for them to be there. When they get adopted through the system the child and adoptive family still get a monthly stipend to care for the child but it isn't anywhere near the cost of keeping them in fostercare.
** and I'm sorry I know people are sick of PA posts but I, personally have never come across this beforehand here.
So if they needed extra SNAP support is this a bad thing? I just want opinions.

Edit.. Not to fuel the fire but FYI in my state it is perfectly acceptable to be on limited assistance and adopt or be a foster parent.
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I personally don't think it's bad. Those kids need love, not just a roof. By the time many of them age out of the system they've never had anyone they could really trust or connect with. No place they felt comfortable. It can make for some very bitter adults. I think if there's a family who can nurture these kids and help them grow into well adjusted adults, they should have the chance to do so.
shygurl3166
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I think providing kids with a loving family is more important than finding them a home that is financially well off.
RJC78
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I don't think so.  You can't put a price on giving a child a happy, healthy home so they can grow up to be who they are supposed to be.

Remy11
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Bump
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The children need loving homes, not rich homes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN