Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be offended if your son and DIL waited to tell you about the pregnancy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies

Poll

Question: So would you be offended if you were MIL? If you were offended, would you make a big deal about it or just focus on the excitement of your first grandchild?

Options:

I wouldn't be offended

I might be offended but I would keep it to myself and focuse on the excitement of the baby

I would be offended and act just as MIL did

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 117

View Results

I am 17 weeks pregnant with mine and DH's first child together but my second child, I have a 3 year old with my ex (who we haven't heard from since I was in the hospital with her).

Anyway, I don't know what it is but I feel more comfortable with waiting until I am further along in my pregnancies to tell anyone. I have never had a miscarriage but it is a fear and somehow I feel like it would be easier if I had an early miscarriage if no one or at least not many people knew.

So because of that, me and DH decided to wait till I was 13 weeks to tell anyone. My mom took one look at me when I was 8 weeks along and said "do you know you are pregnant?" My boobs were huge and they are never huge and she just knew. But we didn't tell anyone else and we asked her not to as well, which she hasn't. My aunt and grandma also figured it out but I am not surprised, at any rate, they didn't tell anyone and MIL does know that they figured it out first.

We got everyone together for a dinner and made the announcement. MIL rolled her eyes when she saw my mom's reaction and I guess MIL guessed by moms reaction that she already knew.After dinner, MIL said, so, your mom already knew? We said yeah, she figured it out, we didn't tell her. She got mad and said "well then you should have told everyone else since she knew". DH told her we wanted to wait a while to tell everyone but we agreed that we wouldn't lie if someone figured it out and guessed. I said "exactlly, if you had figured it out, we would have confirmend it to you as well".

It's 4 weeks later and she is still upset about it. I think she wants us to apoligize but I am not going to. It was our news and we had the right to share it when and where we felt comfortable. I could see her being upset if we told my whole side of the family weeks before we told his. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

BUMP!

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't worry about it for a single second.  As an aside, I would never have my mother and mother in law over for dinner on the same night.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM

She'll get over it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I would probably have my feelings hurt that I wasn't told but I wouldn't show it. Or, I would TRY not to show it.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think she is making a mountain out of a molehill.  13 weeks is not that far along.  It's not her pregnancy and it's not about her.  She can deal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

We had the whole family, well not extended but my mom, step, grandparents and sibblings and DH's parents and sister (his grandparents don't live in the area)

Quoting danandsamsmom:

I wouldn't worry about it for a single second.  As an aside, I would never have my mother and mother in law over for dinner on the same night.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM
She will get over it.
I waited to tell people with DS.
Nobody was offended by it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jenn on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I might feel a little foolish for not figuring it out like everyone else did.

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

We make it a rule to NEVER mix the families. It just isn't good for us.

Quoting Anonymous:

We had the whole family, well not extended but my mom, step, grandparents and sibblings and DH's parents and sister (his grandparents don't live in the area)

Quoting danandsamsmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

My MIL was fine with us waiting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)