Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Something that does make me a bad mother

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 43 Replies
I never got my children swimming lessons. All of them can only doggie paddle and barely keep their head above water. Some can't even do that much. Not even the one that is almost 20. They have gotten so old now that they can't just go take regular lessons because 4 year olds swim better than they do. It is embarrassing for them. I feel horrible about it. The younger ones are scared of the water now and don't even want to try to learn.

When I was growing up, my dad always told me to make sure my kids learned how to swim. He had a brother that drowned. I failed my own kids and now water terrifies me. I worry someday that they will need to be able to swim and won't be able to.
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcoll
by Brandi on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I never had lessons but learned, I was even a lifeguard so all my kids learned early. Still don't think it makes you a bad parent. I don't think most people have formal lessons. Do they?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I hate water. I will never swim in the ocean. I loved it as a kid, but somewhere along the way after having kids, I freaked out. Mine never had lessons either. I know I should. Ugh. I would panic watching them though.
areles
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

find a trusted family friend to teach them.

i didn't learn till i was 18.  it was mortifying.  when i did learn, it was because a group of friends taught me.

i made sure my son learned how to swim while he was young - my husband taught him when he was five.  incidentally, he (my son) is now a lifeguard / swim instructor.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Anisa can't swim either.
I have tried, she is so scared of pools though.
Loves the ocean though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaJo111
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My DD4 drowned and nearly died a few weeks ago.  She barely made it.  It can happen in the blink of an eye. I will be getting all of my kids swimming lessons. I know we should have sooner.  It will take some extra time now though because she is now terrified of water.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My kids can't swim either. They are tweens though, so hopefully we can get a pool this summer and we can teach them. I am scared of water as well. You aren't alone.

TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
If you aren't someone that frequents pools growing up, lessons are the only way to learn. I never took my kids to the pool because I was fat. :(

Quoting bcoll:

I never had lessons but learned, I was even a lifeguard so all my kids learned early. Still don't think it makes you a bad parent. I don't think most people have formal lessons. Do they?

areles
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

btw, i don't think this makes you a bad mom!

but see if you can find someone to help them improve. 

also:  when i say i didn't learn to swim till i was 18, i mean it.  couldn't even tread water, much less doggy paddle.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

my cousins tossed me in a creek that was above my head. i had to learn to swim by myself or drown...

i'm now a little fish.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Private lessons?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)