Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lap bars on car seats...

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM
  • 62 Replies
So I'm on one of those yard sale pages on fb and someone is trying to sell a car seat with the lap bar. Those are no longer to be used correct?

I'm not buying it. I was telling the lady selling it, that it was most likely expired and that the lap bars were not even made anymore.
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM
As far as I know, that is correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
That is correct. If you can talk them down to a couple bucks buy it and destroy it. That's what I'd do and have done.
MamaPeanut
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Most are already expired, and others are close to expiring.

They are no longer safe or with current standards
PrissyAnne
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this
You shouldn't buy a used car seat anyway. You don't know if it's ever been in a wreck or if it was properly maintained. Just a bad idea.
bayliesmommy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Thanks. That's what I said on her post and shegot an attitude with me.
javakitty2011
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I agree. No one should ever use a used car seat in any condition at all even if meets current standards. If the vehicle was in a car accident and the seat looks undamaged can still have unseen stress cracks and should be thrown away and replaced. I know that it will fall on a lot of deaf ears though.

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

That is correct. If you can talk them down to a couple bucks buy it and destroy it. That's what I'd do and have done.

bayliesmommy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh no. I never would. I was telling her not to sell it because I'm pretty sure it's expired and the lap bars were not safe for children anymore.

Quoting PrissyAnne:

You shouldn't buy a used car seat anyway. You don't know if it's ever been in a wreck or if it was properly maintained. Just a bad idea.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Really? Why? My Ds is sitting in one he's about to be out of it in a week though.

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Most are already expired, and others are close to expiring.

They are no longer safe or with current standards
NoSammich4You
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Isn't it illegal to sell baby items that no longer meet safety requirements? I know you can't on Craigslist...maybe it's by state.
PrissyAnne
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah. Gotcha.

Quoting bayliesmommy:

Oh no. I never would. I was telling her not to sell it because I'm pretty sure it's expired and the lap bars were not safe for children anymore.

Quoting PrissyAnne:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)