Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Donating Organs... Prayer Request! Update: She is A-OKAY!

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hey everyone, I posted in that thread that my very young aunt was in need of lungs, and there is an update, if anyone was interested.

Sarah is getting new lungs! She is shortly undergoing/currently undergoing surgery. One of my Grandmothers posted on Facebook with a wonderfully worded prayer request:

"Update on our Sarah: She is eight years old, so please pray for the surgical team, Sarah, her parents, and her extended family. And please, please pray for the donor family; They lost a child and gave a precious gift of life so that Sarah could live"

I cannot believe that so soon after that donor post, after waiting so long for lungs, she is finally getting a chance to live a better life! I will keep this post updated as soon as I hear anything else, whether it's good news or bad...

Here is a picture of Sarah and my Grandfather, taken a few weeks ago at Boston Childrens Hospital.

UPDATE 9:05 PM EST: From my older Aunt's Facebook: "Surgery will take around 18 hours. She is getting both lungs and liver, so hopefully sometime tomorrow I will know something."

Update #2: I was mistaken; she is having surgery this morning, not last night. They had to do a lot of preparations, get the organs to the hospital, and find recipients for the rest of the organs first. So, today will be a long, long day for my Aunt and my Grandpa. They'll certainly be in all of my family's thoughts.

Update #3: 8:14am EST. They wound up pushing the surgery back until almost 9pm last night, but they have successfully transplanted the new lungs! At 6:40am this morning, they began working on transplanting the new liver. So far, she is doing well, but she is still in surgery.

Update #4: 8:05am EST. All organs have been successfully transplanted, and the doctors and surgeons say that everything looks great so far! Thank you everyone for your prayers and kind words and thoughts.

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I wish that I could have donated my child's organs when she died. As sad as I am for the family that lost the child, I'm happy your aunt is getting the transplant she needed.
MamaDurff
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Thank you very much. I'm so sorry that you lost your daughter. My emotions keep wavering all over the place; I'm happy and scared for Sarah, and I'm upset for the family that certainly lost a small child. These next few hours are going to creep and crawl by.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

I wish that I could have donated my child's organs when she died. As sad as I am for the family that lost the child, I'm happy your aunt is getting the transplant she needed.

Derpy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

She is so adorable.
I will be praying everything goes well. 

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Do they give you the option of knowing anything about the family? If it was me, I'd want to send them a thank you/ condolences card.

When is the transplant going to take place??

Quoting MamaDurff:

Thank you very much. I'm so sorry that you lost your daughter. My emotions keep wavering all over the place; I'm happy and scared for Sarah, and I'm upset for the family that certainly lost a small child. These next few hours are going to creep and crawl by.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

MamaDurff
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Thank you so much for the support! She is such a sweet little kid, too. When Make-A-Wish asked her what she wanted, anything she could think of, she responded, "... I want the new Barbie movie!!"

Quoting Derpy:

She is so adorable.
I will be praying everything goes well. 

MamaDurff
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I believe that it is anonymous for a while, but I would have to double-check with my older Aunt. I would want to send a card to the family, as well.

An hour ago it was posted that she would be going in shortly for the operation. I assume they have to work pretty fast. I am just assuming here, but it sounds like (from what all my family members are saying) they are prepping her right now.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Do they give you the option of knowing anything about the family? If it was me, I'd want to send them a thank you/ condolences card.

lilmama3189
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM
That is a very bittersweet story!! I'm hoping all goes well & she has a quick & easy recovery! I'm sure she has been threw enough! <3
MamaDurff
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Thank you, she certainly has been through a lot in her short life. If the surgery is successful and there aren't any complications, she might be out of the hospital by Winter.

Quoting lilmama3189:

That is a very bittersweet story!! I'm hoping all goes well & she has a quick & easy recovery! I'm sure she has been threw enough! <3

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I'm praying for her!! Keep us updated

Quoting MamaDurff:

I believe that it is anonymous for a while, but I would have to double-check with my older Aunt. I would want to send a card to the family, as well.

An hour ago it was posted that she would be going in shortly for the operation. I assume they have to work pretty fast. I am just assuming here, but it sounds like (from what all my family members are saying) they are prepping her right now.

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

MamaDurff
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Thank you, I definitely will!

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

I'm praying for her!! Keep us updated

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN