Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My SIL got thrown off her pedestal last week

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

My BIL lost his job.  He had a huge income, about 400k a year for many years.He worked for one of the banks that were bailed out earlier, and it finally caught up with them.   I am not happy about this, I do wish them the best, BUT for many years, she has looked down on all of us. When the kids were little, we would talk about doctor's visits, vaccines, health issues, etc.  She would always say HER doctor's were better because they had the best insurance could buy.  I sent my dd to private school and she said HER public schools are the best, and we don't have good ones, so there is no need for private here.(actually, we live on Long Island, most public schools here are good) She had a housekeeper even though she was a SAHM all these years.  She did not want to bother cleaning her underwear at one time, so she would just throw out the old ones and  buy new ones.  For years, she was pretty much living the American dream.  A SAHM with a dh that made a ton of money, huge big house and 3 good kids. Things are going to change now.  That insurance is gone.  They now have to be on COBRA and  I do not believe anyone gets better treatment than others on that plan. I guess the point I am trying to make is that bad things can happen to anyone, no one is immuned.  There are a lot on here that judge others(YES, I have done that as well) but things can change in a moment.  They will be ok for now, obviously they have money put aside, BUT I seriously doubt he will ever be able to get a job making that much money.  Even though she has been extremely rude to me in the past about things, I hope that he does find a job eventually. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coleysmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM
COBRA is the acronyn for the act which allows you to keep your health insurance, after no longer working in the place through which you originally had the insurance. At least that's what it was in my case.

We had to pay for the coverage ourselves, but we're able to keep the insurance we had when dh switched jobs, till the new insurance kicked in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM

if he was making that kind of income for a few years, i'm sure they have more than enough saved up....doubtful that this experience will change her

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I have an aunt who had a fall from her high horse awhile ago, she was pretty much out of touch with society and the ways of the normal people, until she had to stand in a WIC line.

She still forgets her high horse got repossessed sometimes lol, I love her all the same though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Cobra means they keep their insurance until your brother finds a new job or a year, whichever is first.
JCSmommy2
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Wow thats crazy he was making so much money, I'm sure he will find another job. Banks usually like to hire employees of other banks, but maybe this will bring her back down to earth and realize not everyone makes that kind of money. Side note, I live on LI too lol not many moms on here are from Ny let alone Li.
LilliesValley
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This would be my EXACT point any time someone on here says, "Oh that can never happen to me, blah, blah, bah..." Shit happens. I don't like seeing bad things happen to anyone. We have fallen on hard times right now, but we are doing our best. I've had folks on here say, "Oh you should have done this or that differently..." Yeah, really? No shit? If I had a crystal ball I'd have known that too. Hindsight is always 20/20. Hopefully op, this will be a learning experience for your sister and others who pull the judgmental and it will never happen to me card.

Dreamly
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Sucks that happened to her, but hopefully they were responsible with saving some money than spending it on big items and shit. We'd be able to put 350 K in savings every year lol. We wouldn't change our lifestyle these days if we made that much all of a sudden.

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I wish them luck, but you are right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

COBRA is just the program to allow people to retain the health insurance they already have, but pay the premium out of pocket instead of their company (or some sort of financial arrangement like that)

It doesn't involve changing her insurance, it's not a form of welfare or public funding.

You should google before you gloat about your brothers family hard times.

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

make sure you stay off yours now that she got knocked off hers.gloating about sil  whose husband just lost his job is gonna be alot of bad karma for you.She treated you like she was above you ignore her and act like an adult.she will or has just gotten her karma.Then you gloat how shes been put on a program to let her keep her good insurance so your happy for her than i hope?Shes losing her house and your happy?why would her kids stop behaving now?i would like to mention none of us want to know what she did with her panties. You reek of jealousy. she had a housemaid so what.i have a maid too she doe the laundry and cleans the house every 2 weeks and i stay at home too what are you going to say now?also i hope your ready for the giant karama sized kick in the ass your about to get,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN