Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another post got me thinking. I got my GED when I was 19, and I had to work my arse off. I remember being emotional (I had a baby and was pregnant, my boys are 11 months apart) When I took my test, I was 3 months pregnant. I remember having to take pre-tests that were harder than the real thing, but I had to know 90% of the test to pass on to take the real thing. In my state, you have to actually get a GED teacher's acceptance to go on to take the GED test.

Now for the H.S. Diploma. I know that many teenagers work very hard for their grades, but this isn't the case in most of the kids around my area when I was a kid. Even now, my friends and even my parents and their friends all talk about how easy high school was. They say that they would just show up, and the teachers would do whatever they could to get them out of their class by the end of the year, no matter what. They wanted them to graduate. Even if they hadn't earned it.

Is getting your GED really the worst thing? To have to work for your education. To fight for your own education and to make sure you have the knowledge needed for the exams (not just memorized). 

I really think the stigma about the GED needs to be changed because it is actually difficult. I got a scholarship for my grades on my GED test, but that is because I worked my butt off!

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Replies (21-30):
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Yeah, I swear some of these bitches sit and some their crack pipe while they are on here. That is not the case and infact that are in the middle of making it harder and they are also making it soley online.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

What practice test did you take?

A practice test can be easier then the actual test. 

HS is so much easier. 

You show up, sleep in class, and fake homework assignments and are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

Lillysmommy0113
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

im trying for my GED now! ive look at the test and its harder then what my brother was doing in 12th grade. two of my brothers finished HS and its really not that hard if they can do it, they arent the smartest people. my brother got his GED since he dropped out in 12th grade and said it was harder then HS and he wished he would have stayed in shcool.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

No. Its not as hard as high school and yes, I look down on it. Its better than nothing for sure, but it is NOT equivalent.

It never will be.

Edit to add:

Keep quoting me. 1, I'm not reading them.

2. GED's are INFERIOR. Period. Employers, colleges and pretty much the entire US believes this. Most of you WITH GED's I commend you for getting them at all, its certainly better than being a drop out.

However, you CAN go back to a REAL high school and graduate(I graduated with a woman who was near 50, because she dropped out to be a nurse during Vietnam and went BACK to my PUBLIC high school and finished her senior year)

I realize it may be easier for some to do a GED because of family matters. Again, its better than nothing.

But it is NOT as good as a high school diploma.  Its called a general equivalency degree. GENERAL EQUIVALENT.

Not a equal on par with high school degree

Good for those that have it.

Fact is, the stigma is genuine and will stay UNLESS they over haul and change GED requirements in EVERY state and standardize the tests nationally, to be on par with high schools.

State requirements are so vastly different, that you may not be required to know fractions (so freaking fucking basic..) and in others you may need to know the beginnings of calculus. ONE bad apple ruins the bunch in this case.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

You do it is called the Compass test. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Honestly, I think you should be able to take a standardized test into the univeristy/college you're interested in joining whenever you feel like it.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

that's what I meant. lol

Quoting OwlNuggets:

It's more the stigma attached to a GED than anything else.

YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Hmmmm. My daughter is in 9th grade.  A freshman.  She is a selctive course referred to here as the BLOCK.  Only 30 of the 600 plus students in her entire grade can be selected to be in it.  You have to be the top of your class in math and science grades and state test scores.  The amount of work done in that course alone is far more than anyone could put into a G.E.D. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

HS is so much easier. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup.

My husband just showed up for school, and passed with flying colors.

Teachers will do anything to get you out of their class and it's a shame. 

Oh and my husband slept through most of his  classes, as did I when I was in school.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Yeah, I swear some of these bitches sit and some their crack pipe while they are on here. That is not the case and infact that are in the middle of making it harder and they are also making it soley online.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

HS is so much easier. 

Quoting Anonymous:

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Oh!

Well, looky there!
Neat :) 

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

You do it is called the Compass test. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Honestly, I think you should be able to take a standardized test into the univeristy/college you're interested in joining whenever you feel like it.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

that's what I meant. lol

Quoting OwlNuggets:

It's more the stigma attached to a GED than anything else.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8_zpsec7912b5.gif
Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Haha high school wasn't easy for me. I took all AP classes I worked hard to get my A's and B's.
YuppyMom
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Agreed.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Its not as hard as high school and yes, I look down on it. Its better than nothing for sure, but it is NOT equivalent.

It never will be.

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

That doesn't really say much because once you graduate college your high school/Ged is irrelevant. But I would expect that from you. LOL!

Quoting thefiregoddess:

It never will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)