Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another post got me thinking. I got my GED when I was 19, and I had to work my arse off. I remember being emotional (I had a baby and was pregnant, my boys are 11 months apart) When I took my test, I was 3 months pregnant. I remember having to take pre-tests that were harder than the real thing, but I had to know 90% of the test to pass on to take the real thing. In my state, you have to actually get a GED teacher's acceptance to go on to take the GED test.

Now for the H.S. Diploma. I know that many teenagers work very hard for their grades, but this isn't the case in most of the kids around my area when I was a kid. Even now, my friends and even my parents and their friends all talk about how easy high school was. They say that they would just show up, and the teachers would do whatever they could to get them out of their class by the end of the year, no matter what. They wanted them to graduate. Even if they hadn't earned it.

Is getting your GED really the worst thing? To have to work for your education. To fight for your own education and to make sure you have the knowledge needed for the exams (not just memorized). 

I really think the stigma about the GED needs to be changed because it is actually difficult. I got a scholarship for my grades on my GED test, but that is because I worked my butt off!

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 18 when I took my GED test. I didn't study for it or have to take any pre-testing. I dropped out of school after 9th grade, but still passed my GED with flying colors.

HOWEVER, the high schools around here churn out graduates that cannot spell, do not understand grammar, and count on their fingers when they are adding. I can run intellectual circles around my friends with high school diplomas.

Even people who have graduated from college around here continue to stun me with their inability to grasp the simple things.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Barely.

In the GED you have to cram pretty much all 12 grades into ONE test that you only get an hour and a half to test and complete.

Quoting YuppyMom:

Hmmmm. My daughter is in 9th grade.  A freshman.  She is a selctive course referred to here as the BLOCK.  Only 30 of the 600 plus students in her entire grade can be selected to be in it.  You have to be the top of your class in math and science grades and state test scores.  The amount of work done in that course alone is far more than anyone could put into a G.E.D. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

What practice test did you take?

A practice test can be easier then the actual test. 

HS is so much easier. 

You show up, sleep in class, and fake homework assignments and are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

i agree with you. i think that getting a GED is probably much harder than getting a HS diploma. but it is just a standards and assumption thing. 

Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

LOL! I guess you didn't go to college, so all you have to talk about is your highschool days.. So sad.

Quoting YuppyMom:

Agreed.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Its not as hard as high school and yes, I look down on it. Its better than nothing for sure, but it is NOT equivalent.

It never will be.

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

You can pass a standard GED test with a 9th grade education. Sorry you found it so difficult

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I honestly don't think how you completed your secondary education matters once you go on to get a job skill or post-secondary education.

Karen has a masters degree, but she has a GED. EWW!

Jon is a certified mechanic, but he has a GED. Pass! What a dumbass!

It only is a big deal when you are an unskilled laborer. Get a skill or further your education and no one will care how you finished high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Some kids learn very easy, others struggle. But end results are ths same. An education.
A kid can " graduate" but unless they also pass the state exam, they dont get a diploma. GED or Diploma, it doesnt matter to community college. Continue your edu cation.
sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I seriously doubt that they are making it "solely online" since it can not be taken online at all and must be taken in person.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Yeah, I swear some of these bitches sit and some their crack pipe while they are on here. That is not the case and infact that are in the middle of making it harder and they are also making it soley online.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

What practice test did you take?

A practice test can be easier then the actual test. 

HS is so much easier. 

You show up, sleep in class, and fake homework assignments and are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Actually it is equivalent. 

When a job asks if you have a GED or a HS then it really doesn't matter. 

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Its not as hard as high school and yes, I look down on it. Its better than nothing for sure, but it is NOT equivalent.

It never will be.

BEXi
by BEXi on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM

My sister has a GED and does very well for herself.

All employers I personally know look at GEDs and diplomas as the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)