Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Another post got me thinking. I got my GED when I was 19, and I had to work my arse off. I remember being emotional (I had a baby and was pregnant, my boys are 11 months apart) When I took my test, I was 3 months pregnant. I remember having to take pre-tests that were harder than the real thing, but I had to know 90% of the test to pass on to take the real thing. In my state, you have to actually get a GED teacher's acceptance to go on to take the GED test.

Now for the H.S. Diploma. I know that many teenagers work very hard for their grades, but this isn't the case in most of the kids around my area when I was a kid. Even now, my friends and even my parents and their friends all talk about how easy high school was. They say that they would just show up, and the teachers would do whatever they could to get them out of their class by the end of the year, no matter what. They wanted them to graduate. Even if they hadn't earned it.

Is getting your GED really the worst thing? To have to work for your education. To fight for your own education and to make sure you have the knowledge needed for the exams (not just memorized). 

I really think the stigma about the GED needs to be changed because it is actually difficult. I got a scholarship for my grades on my GED test, but that is because I worked my butt off!

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM

There was a news report on it. You can bing it or google it if you would like.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I seriously doubt that they are making it "solely online" since it can not be taken online at all and must be taken in person.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Yeah, I swear some of these bitches sit and some their crack pipe while they are on here. That is not the case and infact that are in the middle of making it harder and they are also making it soley online.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

What practice test did you take?

A practice test can be easier then the actual test. 

HS is so much easier. 

You show up, sleep in class, and fake homework assignments and are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

I am a friend, a wife,a daughter but the best title I have by far is Mother .

RobinBright
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

This varies completely from district to district.....  

In my state, you must pass comprehensive proficiency exams in English Lit, American History, World History, three sciences (chosen from Bio, Chem, Earth Science, Physics), Algebra, Geometry and Trig, and a foreign language of your choice.  Each exam is 3 hours long, taken at the completion of the course.  That is for a basic diploma.  Nobody in their right mind would consider that easier than a GED exam.

People dropped out of high school when they were in danger of failing and went for a GED instead because it was an easier way to be done with school and get a job.  

Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Only on cafemom is it HARDER to drop out of high school then complete your education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Why did you not just finish high school and earn your diploma rather than drop out and get your GED if it's so much easier? Not being able to finish high school reflects an inability to have dedication and make good choices. That is why there will always be that stigma.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I live in NYS and they raised the bar MORE over the past few years.  Kids here have to graduate with a regents diploma(they are tests in math, SS, science, etc).  Also, SN kids are not allowed to obtain a regular diploma even though they go through the special education curriculum.  They get a certificate because the state feels they should not get the same as kids who had to take more challenging classes. SO, it depends on the state.  When my sister went to FL, she saw how lacking their public schools are down there(compared to NY).  Even though she is a public school teacher there, she sent her child to private school.  Education is NOT the same in all states.  GED is much easier to obtain here in NY.

Lillysmommy0113
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

in 2014 they start a whole new GED test and if you have passed one but not all you have to retake them all and it is the same as if you were in 12th grade.

YuppyMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The G.E.D. is BASIC.  The math  being done in this program is beyond the scope of any high school senior taking the basic requirements.

Sample questions from the G.E.D in math:

1. Which quantity is not equal to 75(32 + 88)?

(A) 75 * 32 + 75 * 88
(B) (75 * 32) + 88
(C) 75(88 + 32)
(D) (88 + 32) * 75
(E) 88 * 75 + 32 * 75

2. The equation of the line passing through the points (–2, 2) and (3, –3) is:

(A) x + y = 5
(B) xy = 5
(C) yx = 5
(D) y = x
(E) y = –x

Seriously---5th and 6th graders can do this...

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Barely.

In the GED you have to cram pretty much all 12 grades into ONE test that you only get an hour and a half to test and complete.

Quoting YuppyMom:

Hmmmm. My daughter is in 9th grade.  A freshman.  She is a selctive course referred to here as the BLOCK.  Only 30 of the 600 plus students in her entire grade can be selected to be in it.  You have to be the top of your class in math and science grades and state test scores.  The amount of work done in that course alone is far more than anyone could put into a G.E.D. 

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

LMAO. 

What practice test did you take?

A practice test can be easier then the actual test. 

HS is so much easier. 

You show up, sleep in class, and fake homework assignments and are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've done the GED practice test, it's not that hard. It's a lot less effort than graduating high school.

MrsErdos2011
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

How so?

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

GED is the easy way out. 

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

No employer has ever given a shit about the fact that I have a GED rather than a hs diploma. They only cared that I had the education to do the job that I was applying for. 

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I just enrolled in graduate school. 

I think you are just upset.

I made it through high school, and I attended 17 different schools in 4 years because i was a foster child.
Each school has its own requirements, curriculum and i had to take MANY extra classes in one district that I didnt in another.
Yet I STILL managed to graduate school in 10 years (k-12) and start college, at a REAL college/university. I was accepted to Princeton from high school.

Were you? 

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

LOL! I guess you didn't go to college, so all you have to talk about is your highschool days.. So sad.

Quoting YuppyMom:

Agreed.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

No. Its not as hard as high school and yes, I look down on it. Its better than nothing for sure, but it is NOT equivalent.

It never will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)