Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Apparently it's MY fault?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

My mother is a super religious person to the point where she's crazy. Like bat shit psycho. When I was small, and I'm talking under five here, she'd tell me that the devil and demons were real and they would try to come "get me" and destroy me. I would lay awake, and still do sometimes, shaking and terrified that I'd be tormented by a demon. I'd have nightmares and feel presences in the room just from her brainwashing me with that shit. I'm almost 30 years old and still scared of the dark. 

Anyway on to my story...My 6 year old DD is very close to my mother despite my efforts for her not to be. She has spent a lot of time with her over the last six years and I noticed my mom had started doing the same thing to her she did to me. My child is scared of EVERYTHING. We went to the movies to see a family comedy movie and she sat there shaking and crying for ten minutes at the beginning because she was scared of the dark and thought the movie would be scary even though I showed her the previews several times. 

Tonight she was staying with my mom while I went out for the first time in probably eight months or so, just down the street to a little concert a friend of mine was putting on. It was only a few hours and mom said she'd watch them. Things were great when I left but when I got back to pick them up there was a great disturbance in the force. I could feel it when I walked in the door. I asked DD if she had a good time and she said no, that she "saw something". I asked what and she said "the devil made something and sent it here, it had a scary face and was holding a bloody knife. I was scared but Jesus told me to run so I did". The fuck? I asked if it was a picture or on tv she said no it was real and standing in the bedroom doorway. Okay...so I went to ask my parents what happened and see if I could get more out of them and my mom just glared at me and said "You are a bad parent because you don't monitor what she watches on t.v." Uhm. again, the fuck? I am not extremely strict about television but my children do not watch very mature adult shows or movies nor is anything scary/horror related allowed because I know how sensitive DD is. DH will turn on Psych once in awhile and DD will sit and watch it but she said she is not bothered by it, half the time she barely pays attention she's usually doing something else. There was one episode about a werewolf where she got scared and DH told her to just leave the room. That was a long time ago and she hadn't had any problems with it although she's always been scared of vampires and werewolves because my mother told her they're something the devil made. Smh. DD loves scooby doo but I don't think that is scary, tbh, and she hardly watches it anymore. She is onto my little pony and other very girly shows. Nothing that would provoke an image like that.

I didn't even stay for an explanation or lecture from my mom. I got the girls, packed up, and left. Told my dad that I was tired of being treated this way because I am a damn good parent and sick of being told everything I do was wrong (she bitches about EVERYTHING I do and nothing is ever right, it's always been this way). I put DD in the car and kissed her forehead and assured her nothing would happen...well I got this taste in my mouth when I did. My mother put some kind of annointing oil or some shit on my kid. Don't fucking do that when you don't know if she's allergic to it. I've had this talk with her before. She said "if she's allergic to holy oil she has a devil inside her'. SHES FUCKING SIX YEARS OLD YOU CRAZY BITCH.

Ugh. So I tried to get DD to tell me what she was doing before she saw this thing and she said she was laying in bed. I asked if she and grandma talked about anything before and she quickly changed the story to "oh I didn't see anything, I forgot. I just heard a creaking noise. Yeah...that's it I just heard something". 

So when we got home I called DH (who is on business) and told him everything. He is PISSED and was about to call and bitch my mom out and tell her she's never allowed near us again. I am starting to agree. She's psychologically damaging my child and I won't have it. He didn't call but says he wants to go over and talk with her (their last talk ended in her trying to hit him and my dad pulling a gun on him because he expressed that he was an atheist) and tell her all that. 

So much for fathers day...=/ Sorry dad, but enough is enough.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Whoa!
barneysaid
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Too much to read!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM

It's worth it, I promise.

Quoting barneysaid:

Too much to read!!!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
3 moms liked this

And WHY do you continue to allow your mother to have contact with your daughter?

YOU'RE her mom.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Someone put it in her head (sounds like your mother did). I have a sensitive DD too about certain shows and movies. She will be 10 this year and we have always had the "leave the room" rule if something is bothering her because well, a lot of things do. She might have a nightmare or something, but that doesn't sound like a reaction to television, it sounds like someone coached her. 

I would cut off contact for awhile with your parents. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hell if I know...this isn't the first time we've been down this road although it's the first time my daughter has "seen something". I am close to my dad, and while he's not as crazy as she is he never corrects her...he has no balls I swear. She doesn't have any other children or grandchildren and I feel guilty leaving her in her old age but this is ridiculous. 

She sometimes has her good qualities, she'll watch them whenever I need her to because no one else will or does. She buys them a lot of clothes as well especially for back to school. But she's starting to do more harm than good.

DH wants to cut off all ties and I'm going to step back and let him do it.  I'll just have to deal with my guilty conscious.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

And WHY do you continue to allow your mother to have contact with your daughter?

YOU'RE her mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM

A friend of mine was there with me the entire time this went on and when we left she asked if I thought my mom provoked it, and I said probably so.

Quoting sheramom4:

Someone put it in her head (sounds like your mother did). I have a sensitive DD too about certain shows and movies. She will be 10 this year and we have always had the "leave the room" rule if something is bothering her because well, a lot of things do. She might have a nightmare or something, but that doesn't sound like a reaction to television, it sounds like someone coached her. 

I would cut off contact for awhile with your parents. 

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

This is a really rough road to travel....

I just don't want to see your daughter deal with paranoia and fear when all she should be experiencing is innocence and joy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hell if I know...this isn't the first time we've been down this road although it's the first time my daughter has "seen something". I am close to my dad, and while he's not as crazy as she is he never corrects her...he has no balls I swear. She doesn't have any other children or grandchildren and I feel guilty leaving her in her old age but this is ridiculous. 

She sometimes has her good qualities, she'll watch them whenever I need her to because no one else will or does. She buys them a lot of clothes as well especially for back to school. But she's starting to do more harm than good.

DH wants to cut off all ties and I'm going to step back and let him do it.  I'll just have to deal with my guilty conscious.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

YOU'RE her mom.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8_zpsec7912b5.gif
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM
3 moms liked this
dude why the hell didnt you stop it sooner?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM

It is...it's really difficult. We've cut ties for months before but it's never lasted.

I agree she shouldn't go through this. My life was lived in fear and misery, I don't want hers to be that way. She is scared of EVERYTHING. 

Quoting OwlNuggets:

This is a really rough road to travel....

I just don't want to see your daughter deal with paranoia and fear when all she should be experiencing is innocence and joy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

YOU'RE her mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)