Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Salary or hourly?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Which would you pick?

Options:

Stay hourly

Go to salary

Other just because

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

If you had a choice, would you prefer a salary or to be hourly?

My position is currently an hourly position. I do not get paid overtime, I get comp time. (If I work 41 hours, I get 1.5 hours of comp time to use later).

I have the opportunity to switch my pay to salary. As long as I work 4 hours, it's considered a full day. So if I had a doctor appt or something, I don't have to use sick time like I do now. Basically, I have to use leave time only if I miss a whole day.

Pay stays the same.

So, which would you prefer?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Salary.
DEJavu17
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Salary
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Salary

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Tell your employer they are breaking the law and take it from there.
rennez
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Salary
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

If you have a set schedule that you always work say 9 to 5 with never the option of over time. I would say go salary. But if you can be kept passed "normal" hours. I would stay hourly. So you don't get screwed. Working 60 hours and getting paid the same as if your worked 40. SUCKS and you will get burned out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM
How do you figure?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I have a few required night meetings per month, but I won't be required to work any additional hours than I work now.

Quoting Mamabear010:

If you have a set schedule that you always work say 9 to 5 with never the option of over time. I would say go salary. But if you can be kept passed "normal" hours. I would stay hourly. So you don't get screwed. Working 60 hours and getting paid the same as if your worked 40. SUCKS and you will get burned out.

Josie_P
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Salary

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
OVERTIME AND WORK HOURS
When is overtime due?
For covered, nonexempt employees, the FLSA requires overtime pay at a rate of not less than one and one-half times an employee's regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a workweek. Some exceptions to the 40 hours per week standard apply under special circumstances to police officers and fire fighters employed by public agencies and to employees of hospitals and nursing homes.
Some states have also enacted overtime laws. Where an employee is subject to both the state and Federal overtime laws, the employee is entitled to overtime according to the higher standard (i.e., the standard that will provide the higher rate of pay).

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you figure?

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)