Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just did the stupidest thing ever... and im proud

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM
  • 58 Replies
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

As an ems provider we are always taught that our safety and that of our crew always comes first. If the scene that we are arriving at is not safe...we do not approach until otherwise told so. I'm sitting upstairs in my house when suddenly I heard not one...not two but THREE impacts of vehicles. I look out my window and see a three car accident. I pick up my cell phone to call 911 when suddenly... I see the car is smoking. Dressed in only my sweats and t shirt I threw on my sneakers, work gloves and ran out of my apartment. I ran full force down the block.. yelling at bystanders to get away from the car and call 911.my downstairs neighbor is former military and also a bit of a prep per..so he ran out with a first aid kit that had gloves. I ripped open the door of the car and pulled the man out with the help of my downstairs neighbor. I performed an assessment on the man while my neighbor held his head. Luckily there was a volunteer ambulance company driving by that tended to the trapped woman. The guy I removed stopped breathing and I performed hands only CPR. The responding ambulance that arrived was actually co workers of mine. They told me to assist with loading him and then told me to scram before the cops asked me for my certification numer. If my supervisor finds out that I pulled the man out he'll rip me to shreds about scene safety and how dangerous it was... but I wasn't going to allow someone to possibly burn to death. Even sitting at home trying to sleep... I couldn't allow it. I came back down during the clean up.. saw the fire men using the jaws of life which I never saw in person. Another ambulance from my company came just to see if there was any more help needed. My co worker who is also my friend saw me andasked, "what did you do???" With a smile. I laughed and said..nothing...

Just wanted to share.
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
That's great. At least you were there to help. I once, still with my scrubs on, had to perform CPR on an elderly lady that had passed out while walking through a parking lot. She scraped her face real bad. I had to control the scene. I yelled for one man to call 911 while another man got me gloves. I checked her vitals and started compressions until ems arrived. Then had to stay to give my statement since I saw the whole thing.

That was my first time having to do that. I felt sick as I replayed in my head. She had no reaction as she fell. Last I heard she was ok.
Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome. :)
CherrieFaeries
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Nice!
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:47 AM

You did what you had to.

marinenonstop
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM
On the clock, I see things like this all the time...but I'm rarely the first on scene. Usually fire and or cops are there first. Off the clock I assisted with a motorcycle struck by an SUV. I saw the entire thing and acted when I heard people saying, "take off his helmet." I jumped in and had to control the scene. I had regular bystanders holding c spine while I did my assessment. I actually had to go to court for that because the motorcycle driver was paralyzed from the incident and they were trying to find out who was liable and at fault. I swore After the court to never get involved when I was off duty again. Yea, that worked out.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's great. At least you were there to help. I once, still with my scrubs on, had to perform CPR on an elderly lady that had passed out while walking through a parking lot. She scraped her face real bad. I had to control the scene. I yelled for one man to call 911 while another man got me gloves. I checked her vitals and started compressions until ems arrived. Then had to stay to give my statement since I saw the whole thing.

That was my first time having to do that. I felt sick as I replayed in my head. She had no reaction as she fell. Last I heard she was ok.

marinenonstop
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:51 AM
I felt like I had to.. I think to myself, "what if it was my loved one?"

Quoting OneToughMami:

You did what you had to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:52 AM
You broke a mans spine?

Quoting marinenonstop:

On the clock, I see things like this all the time...but I'm rarely the first on scene. Usually fire and or cops are there first. Off the clock I assisted with a motorcycle struck by an SUV. I saw the entire thing and acted when I heard people saying, "take off his helmet." I jumped in and had to control the scene. I had regular bystanders holding c spine while I did my assessment. I actually had to go to court for that because the motorcycle driver was paralyzed from the incident and they were trying to find out who was liable and at fault. I swore After the court to never get involved when I was off duty again. Yea, that worked out.

Quoting Anonymous:

liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I'm glad there are people like you in the world.  I honestly don't know that I could have done that, probably good I didn't go into medicine :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:53 AM
It's hard not to get involved when you're off duty. When you see something like that, you can't just stand around and watch. I feel ya and you should be proud.

Quoting marinenonstop:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured