Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No dates allowed to wedding

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies

Poll

Question: Rude or not?

Options:

Yes, very rude

No, shes being rude

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 114

View Results

Is it rude to tell someone that you invited to your wedding that they are not allowed to bring a date?

I have a friend that I invited to my wedding (we aren't good enough friends that I wouldve invited her originally, but the reason I did is because she found out and pulled a I better get an invite, so I didn't want to hurt her feelings). Anyways I invited her about a month and a half ago and she just started dating this new guy last week.  She changed her facebook relationship and I commented congrats and she commented back thanks, it will be plus 1 to your wedding... I was kinda shocked she didn't even ask if it was okay because she knows we are trying to keep it small and close family and friends only. Anyways would it be rude to tell her no, he cant come?

Also, 1 person wouldn't really be THAT big of a deal, except for the fact that some family we didn't expect to come from out of state are now coming, so we have to plan for about 10 extra people and its suppose to be a small wedding.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I always thought a plus 1 was standard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Just tell her no dates you only want close people there. If she whines, tell her not to come either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I'm  not sure. Were definitely not having a traditional wedding, its very simple and small.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

I always thought a plus 1 was standard.

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure.  What's an extra $40 a plate?

No.  He can't come.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Lol, love this!

Quoting Anonymous:

Just tell her no dates you only want close people there. I'd she whines, tell her not to come either.

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

It's not rude at all. It's YOUR wedding. She shouldn't assume that she's allowed to invite someone unless it said so on her invitation.

My friend got invited to a wedding, and she's not allowed a +1 either. The bride and groom are trying to keep the wedding small. It is what it is.

RMC007
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I would just tell her that she only RSVPed for one, and that you cannot add on anymore guests.
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
It is etiquette to tell your guests they may bring a guest BUT when she had that attitude she was not showing much etiquette herself.
Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Tell her it's too late to add an extra person to the guest list
x2monstersx
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Tell her you already gave the place a head count and paid.  When she was originally invited it was just her.  So it's not fair for her to now decide she is bringing someone.  That is pretty rude.  If I was her, I would offer to pay for my dates plate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)