Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

vaccinate your kids so they will stay healthy...

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 20 Replies
That was the general message I got from an episode of Sid the science kid that my son was watching a few minutes ago. His parents told him he was getting his vaccinations so he will be healthy. I get what they are trying to do, to make kids less afraid of shots. But I was wondering what non vax mommies would think if they saw this episode? What if it confused your kids? I vaccinate my son, by the way. It just made me wonder. The headline was to get your attention.
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't think twice but I vax, to keep my kid and my future baby healthy haha
Nickie76
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's a personal choice. If those choose to not vax, then at least keep them healthy as far as diet and excersize.
thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw it awhile ago when DS was smaller. It kind of pissed me off because he was being pretty fucking pushy about vaccines. Now DS is into that show but if it ever comes on (that episode) he will not be watching it.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids saw a Blues Clues episode that mentioned vaccines.

When my kids asked what they were I just explained to them that some parents think vaccines are good for you but they're actually really bad for you.
BEXi
by BEXi on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I would find it very ironic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Since my kids haven't been vaccinated they really don't know what it means so I doubt it would make them question why they weren't. If it did I'd just tell them we don't do that or that we don't do thing based what we see on tv.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't watch that show but if he did I would explain that some ppl think vaccines are good, but really they could hurt you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I doubt the non-vaxed kids are allowed to watch Sid. They might learn to think scientifically and their parents wouldn't want that. 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I get what you're asking/saying, but there will always be things on tv (even "harmless" kids shows) that go against your own personal values or ideas.  One can just use it as a teachable moment or downplay it.  Someone who doesn't vax who saw that episode could just briefly explain that some people get vaccines to try to stay healthy and some people do other things to stay healthy (wash hands, eat good foods, etc).  I do vax, but I would think that would sufficiently explain it to a kid young enough to be watching Sid the Science Kid.  KWIM?

I encounter this with the "don't talk to strangers" thing.  Lots of kids shows and books address this issue and for many reasons, I do not believe in teaching kids to never speak to strangers (without getting into a whole thing here...but I have research, anecdotes and personal experiences as to why I feel this rule  is more dangerous than safe), so I just tell my kids that different families have different rules blah blah blah.  It works fine.

AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Never seen that particular episode but I don't think Ds would pay it much mind. I find the thought that vaccines make you healthier funny though. Ds is a lot healthier after he stopped receiving vaccines.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN