Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm taking my first cross-country road trip with my 4yo, 3yo and 6mo - be a hero and give me your best advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

My mini-van is equipted with a dvd player.  My children have not been introduced to video games yet, but I'm thinking that now might be the time.  I'm going to be the only adult.  Thanks :-)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shygurl3166
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
We have traveled a LOT... best suggestions I have are a portable DVD player, a blanket per kiddo, plenty of snacks. My kids travel very well so that's all I needed. Have fun!
prp2014
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Just make sure you try and stick to what ever schedule you have. For the car I would invest in a leapfrog leapster or leappad learning tablet. We went on a cross country trip a few weeks ago and those two things keep all of my kids occupied. They are just like playing a video game but they are educational.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LeapFrog-Leapster2-Learning-Game-System-Green/9605994

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LeapFrog-LeapPad2-Explorer-Learning-Tablet-Green/20926333

Dolcepsle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Snacks, portable potty, favorite toys, DVD player, lots of stops to stretch, mandated quiet time with soft music or a calm movie, make up stories and try to squeeze in as much fun educational stuff as possible. I took my 1 yr old and 14 yr old through 21 states spanning from NJ to CA and back. Took the northern and southern routes. Great memories! Also make sure at least one meal a day is at a sit down restaurant so you can enjoy yourself. Makes a difference!!
mmr520
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM
If you stay ar a hotel, use the bar or chain lock and keep a key on you at all times.
3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM

How many hours are you looking at driving total? 

lucille.bluth
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Seek out rest stops with play grounds. We will eat lunch and then the kids play for about a half hour. It's a nice break and they usually take a nap for afterward. We took a 17 hour trip in one day with a 1 and 3 yr old. Our DVD player was a lifesaver! 

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM
How many hours of driving? Are you going to do it in one day?
CherrieFaeries
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Sounds like you have things thought out. The only other thing I can suggest for your babies is when you stop for the night before they go to bed, message their legs for cramps. Just a few minutes each leg would do wonders.
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Plan on it taking you a lot longer than you think it would. All 3 are going to want to stop at different times. Stop every couple hours at a safe place, get everyone out and play for a half hour or so.  Take the baby out of the carseat everytime you stop, make sure she's sitting straight in the seat when you put her back in.  If you leave her in the seat she can end up like a toddler I heard about that sat in the seat in the same position for too long and got a pinched nerve. Really bad, had to have physical therapy to walk again. Collect plenty of not-too-messy snacks and drinks. Get some new toys so they will be more distracted. Keep a space between the kids to eliminate the "she touched me!" complaint.  Play "I Spy".  At the hotel, give them time to play, better yet try to find ones with pools. Water play will help wear them out. Don't forget a playpen!   Plastic bags, 1 for dirty clothes, 1 for trash. A couple kid-safe cameras might keep them busy too. Hm.....  towels in case someone gets carsick...... ummmm.....that's all I can come up with!!!    Good Luck, be patient, have fun!!!!

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Dramamine in case they get car sick on long trips, dvds, easy snacks like uncrustables, juice pouches.... tylenol for you. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)