Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I will never buy that crap again!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 515 Replies
4 moms liked this

I used to be a strictly name brand person, especially with food. But since my husband lost his job and had to take a new job making substantially less I have had to start buying a lot of generic brands. There are a few things that I will not compromise on and still buy name brand, but most generics are as good, if not better than name brand.

My favorite generic item: Great Value taco seasoning mix. I will never buy a name brand taco seasoning again. Not only does the Great Value brand taste so much better, but it's also a fraction of the cost. 33 cents vs $1.19 for name brand in my area.

I'm always so scared to try generics, maybe you have tried something I haven't yet, lol.

So I have to ask, are there any generic brand item that you love and you will no longer buy the name brand? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piratehooker
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM
48 moms liked this

I make my own stuff.  Shop the perimeters of the store.  Taco mix is so easy to make.

victoriangavin
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I will only eat great value spaggeteos(sp?) And raviolies.... I can't stand the noodles in the name brand cans
Sekirei
by LoKitty on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
10 moms liked this

My husband wont eat great value anything (I refuse to shop at wal mart anyway... it's gross)

Anyway, best way is to find local brands. We bought steak, chicken and a bbq sauce today, all local brands. Much cheaper and tastes better.

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
19 moms liked this
A lot of the generics are the same exact thing as the brand name. Like same plant, same exact ingredients same food.
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I buy great value, lots of stuff. But there are things I won't go generic on as well. 

I buy sugar,graham crackers,bread,milk,yogurt all kinds of things.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Pasta I buy great value, frozen veggies great value, sugar also
QuirkyMom26
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Great Value - hells yes! The only thing I don't like from that brand is their sour cream. I don't buy great value meat either. But everything else tastes just the same for the most part =D

tifbrown
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM
21 moms liked this

Most of the Kirkland brand stuff at Costco is totally amazing! I love their foods, cleaners, etc. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Good to know. My husband and kids love that stuff but I refuse to buy it becaue it costs so much (and I persoanlly hate it, lol) but maybe we can try the generic brand and they can have it more often. You may have just become their new favorite person, lol.

Quoting victoriangavin:

I will only eat great value spaggeteos(sp?) And raviolies.... I can't stand the noodles in the name brand cans

QuirkyMom26
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
6 moms liked this

Every time I see your avi it makes me think Kirsten Dunst. Do you get that a lot??

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I buy great value, lots of stuff. But there are things I won't go generic on as well. 

I buy sugar,graham crackers,bread,milk,yogurt all kinds of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)