Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I will never buy that crap again!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I used to be a strictly name brand person, especially with food. But since my husband lost his job and had to take a new job making substantially less I have had to start buying a lot of generic brands. There are a few things that I will not compromise on and still buy name brand, but most generics are as good, if not better than name brand.

My favorite generic item: Great Value taco seasoning mix. I will never buy a name brand taco seasoning again. Not only does the Great Value brand taste so much better, but it's also a fraction of the cost. 33 cents vs $1.19 for name brand in my area.

I'm always so scared to try generics, maybe you have tried something I haven't yet, lol.

So I have to ask, are there any generic brand item that you love and you will no longer buy the name brand? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (511-515):
Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Great Value is a store brand not a generic. There is a difference. Generic items don't have pictures on the labels and are very low quality.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I see it too now that it was pointed out. I dont look at everyones pics usually

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Well Thank you hun. I don't actually hear that. LOL. Maybe I should dye the hair blonde. LOL

Quoting QuirkyMom26:

Every time I see your avi it makes me think Kirsten Dunst. Do you get that a lot??

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I buy great value, lots of stuff. But there are things I won't go generic on as well. 

I buy sugar,graham crackers,bread,milk,yogurt all kinds of things.

chrispychris
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

There only 5 major agri corporations processing a and packaging ALL of the foods we purchase.

That includes the growers of our fruits, veggies, and grains.

BE VERY CAREFUL...and Please watch this video..below.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040842_glyphosate_EPA_regulations_contamination_levels.html

lainec
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Believe it or not, a lot of Save a Lot's generics are BETTER than the name brand!  Their pasta salad kits, Pasta on the Side?  Much better than the Kraft brand. Thier gallon orange juice is some of the best I have ever tasted.  Publix generic items are also fantastic.  You just have to try different stores/different generics and find what works best for you.

apollothor
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Re: Generic and name brands, generics are usually fine. The advantage of brands is that the coupons are for brand items. Although convenience foods can be cheap in dollar stores and Walmart and even CVS, note that convenience boxed food is not healthy food. Read the zillion chemicals on the labels and know that most corn and soy in this country is genetically modified (GMO) food and that is not something that your family needs as a steady diet. That genetically modified "Frankenfood" is in most boxed foods. We all need a treat or a convenience now and then, but try to buy real food that you cook yourself, and worry less about brand and generics.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN