Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is going on with our children!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
My 15 yo dd just had to say goodbye to a friend. This girl, 15, jumped off a bridge and killed herself last week :-( Another friend of hers a few years back was expelled for a death list.. these were good kids, good grades, lots of friends. She knew both of them from extra activities, so they weren't just sitting around with to much time to think. My own dd had started cutting, yes we are dealing with this.
There are so many more stories like these children all over! I'm friends with most of my girls friends on fb.. the horrible things they say about themselves, I just want to cry! Why are our children hurting so bad! What is going on?!
All I can speak for is my home. We have open comunication here, there is a zero punishment policy for literally anything they come to me with. We will brainstorm ideas about how they can work with whatever the problem is, but no trouble will ever come from them being open with me. Because of this my girls are maybe too open at times? Lol I know the teen years are hard and I'm not one to freak over the usual teen angst, but why do so many of these children hurt so bad that they want out :-(
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Bump
softkitty42
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:32 AM

im sorry i dont know what to say

My3LuVs83
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM
I'm sorry.

Idk my oldest is 10 and we haven't dealt with anything like that here. Very sad. Way too young.
Lili0509
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I've thought the same thing, Im 23 and have seen a lot too....I really don't know. I think its bc the world is just focused on the most unnecessary things, we don't value whats really important and only focus on the things that don't matter---money, appearance, popularity ect. There is also a lot of pressure on teens now days, especially in school.

poeticrose09
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Because bullying sucks and is hard to deal with. What people fail to realize is that kids are mean and will tease and taunt over anything. I started cutting when I was nine and didn't stop until I was ninteen. Three yrs this year actually.
Xanbuttsmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Its because suicide and things like that are sensationalized. Not to mention social media. This is a crazy world we live in.

Kids do things like make face book pages saying things like "so in so is an ugly whore. Like if you agree 1000 likes and she should kill herself." things like that really fuck with kids.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM
If we knew the answer to this, I don't think so many would be doing these things.

It's seemed to really increase with social media..
jcpeters0320
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:45 AM
Err I honestly have no clue but I'm quite sick of all the drama with teens. I went through hell as a teen (undiagnosed bi polar disorder until age 20). I knew a lot of kids who cut and walked around school showing it off, like it was cool or something...I did everything in my power to hide my scars.
I've heard about teens killing themselves over a break up. I had one of the worst break ups in my school---you know, the break up that everyone talks about because the couple was together so long.
I think kids just don't understand that no matter how big a problem may seem, it's not a permanent problem and does NOT need a permanent solution.
fusonjen
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:46 AM

To be honest maybe its the drastic changes in parenting.  On one hand you have parents who come close to beating the crap out of their teens, then you have some that constantly turn a blind eye to the downward spiral their kid is in because its "just a phase". Also our society has changed astronomically (sp to tired to care).  Teens are dealing with faarrrr to many adult issues at 12-14.  I can remember when my biggest worry as a teen was if I had the newest Fila shoes, now they worry if their shorts are short enough to twerk right...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:49 AM
This is the scariest time of parenting I think. I am horrified at the thought that I might not be capable of keeping my children alive to see adulthood! With each tragic end to one of these sweet kids that possiblity hits closer to home :-( There should be no great fight than to help our babies know they are worth fighting for! I want to go crazy and scream in the streets for everyone to wake up and do something! But, I'm pretty sure somebody would call the cops and my girls wouldn't do to welll with me in jail.. dang this is all such a mess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)