Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did Your Parents Ignore Sibling Rivalry?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

And if so, how did it affect you?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Yes, and I hated my brother. My brother still hates my sister. My parents just roll their eyes.
deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 AM
My brother and I are 11 years apart. We never had sibling rivalry but we're not close at all either.
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I never lived with my brother. I'm my mlm's favorite and he's our grandmas favorite.
We actually live together now. Well he lives with me. His horrible habits and disrespect for other people's things gets on my nerves. Other wise I like him ok.
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I got the blame, no matter what since I was the oldest. Set an example and all that crap. Resented that, my sister and my parents for treating me like that. 

happykitty316
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM

No, actually if anything they pushed the competition between us so far that we can't stand each other.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM

My kids do it all the time and I can't stand it, help

Liz132
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I was hated, my sister was ignored, my brother was adored, and our youngest sister just wasn't in on this because she is so much younger than us. We all are still pretty close though. My sister and I were always close and I tried to never hold it against my brother the that he is the obvious favorite. My sister and I would pick on him pretty bad but we still loved him.

MommyMitchy247
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:44 AM

My twin sister and I fought over everything.

Boys, clothes, who got to shower first in the morning, etc.

My parents never intervened or anything and now my twin sister and I are best friends. She truly is my other half.

teaspring
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't know that my parents actually knew exactly what to do about the sibling rivalry between my brother and me.  It wasn't so much a rivalry, though, as it was my brother seemed to just always hate me and exclude me from everything he could.  He terrorized me, even injuring me severely on two occasions - once throwing me out of the attic causing a huge laceration on my knee, and once kicking me in the face knocking my front tooth out WHILE I WAS WEARING BRACES! 

When my mother died in 2009, she'd left us each a letter than she'd written some 15 or more years earlier.  She recognized how my brother was toward me and encouraged me to keep trying to have a relationship with him.  I haven't tried terribly hard as my brother is not a good person - he's a user and a liar and a thief.  I am better off without him in my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)