Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does your child hold their breath until he/she passes out??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
My 2 year old has BHS (breath holding syndrome). Last night was the scariest episode yet. She was cranky and crying. She has been cutting molars, so I was going to get her some Tylenol. She was walking to me and just fell over and passed out. She was blue and her body was stiff. It was terrifying.

Has anyone else gone through this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Bump
tifbrown
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Oh goodness! That would be terrifying. My kids have never done that. I don't know that they would even think to do something like that. They just know if they start to tantrum, it's to their rooms, until they are ready to calm down. Have you spoken to her doctor about that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

They can not die from doing it.... ignore it and her when it happens and in time she will stop. It's a control and attention issue.

thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Oh wow, scary!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My brother use to do it. I am 10 years older so I remember those episodes very clearly. My dd does it a little but only for a few seconds. With my brother it was scary but he would always pass out and my parents wouldnt give into the temper tantrum so he outgrew them. One time he choked for real on a gold fish while doing it that was scary!! 

imakehimscream
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM
No but when she cries real hard she throws up. Not pretty
barneysaid
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Oh! That's super scary!!!!
Snapdragon88
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Oh how scary... no they've never done that. Thank goodness she can't die from that... but it can't be good to make yourself pass out on a regular basis. She's cutting off circulation to her brain :/ I'd talk to to her doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM
No its not. It is completely involuntary. She was already throwing a fit. She doesn't do it on purpose, it scares her so much. When she starts to wake up, she had this terrified look on her face.

She has done it before from getting hurt. It's a matter of crying so hard that they cannot catch their breath. They certainly don't do it on purpose.

Quoting Anonymous:

They can not die from doing it.... ignore it and her when it happens and in time she will stop. It's a control and attention issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My husband did this as a child.

Our daughter will cry so hard she can't breathe. But, like the others said, they will be ok.
I usually lightly blow in her face to get her to inhale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)