Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Turning down a promotion to avoid others being jealous?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Ugh...

only started working where I am about 10 months ago. It's a small local owned place so there is only so far you can advance... manager is the top of the ladder because the owner, who is very much involved with the daily operations is the only one higher. It's a short ladder and I've already moved up once, before and over other coworkers who'd been there longer. Which caused some jealousy and issues. It wasnt into a position of authority, but it was a pay increase with more responsibility. I didnt ask for it, I knew she was looking and that there had been some suggestions made to her that I take it (both managers had flat out told me they told her to pick me) so I *did* tell her I would take it if offered but that I'd understand if she chose someone with more experience. She picked me though, and I appreciate that so much. 

Now, one of our managers is more than likely moving away. And again, there are rumors circulating about who's going to move up. There are a couple other people who have been there for years and years, and have the training... but somehow I've been named as a potential among them. I even was asked to fill in for the manager, the one who may be leaving, last night, so I did and it went really well. 

I dont know though... I think I will just try and stay inconspicous, if she wants me I will let her come to me. I really dont want any more drama with co-workers, kwim... I go to work to do my job, not start trouble. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina0607
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

What kind of business is this? 

barneysaid
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this
Why wouldn't you take the promotion? Are the co workers paying your bills, feeding you, etc. Who give a fuck what they think!
barneysaid
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Quoting christina0607:

cakbr
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Agreed.

Take the promotion.

Quoting barneysaid:

Why wouldn't you take the promotion? Are the co workers paying your bills, feeding you, etc. Who give a fuck what they think!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting christina0607:

restaurant. I am in the front of the house as waitress and cashier/hostess. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Well I hope you get it! There has to be a reason they are looking to you for advancement. Maybe the employees who have been there longer have grown complacent and aren't showing much initiative. Maybe they're lazy, unreliable or problem employees. Who knows? There could be a myriad of reasons why they're getting passed over...Don't worry about the whys and how it will affect you and your work. You worry about you. Wouldn't extra money in your account help you? A promotion and pay raise are always good things, right? If you're the right person for the job, you deserve it! Again, I hope you get it. Good luck to you. ;-)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry about others.  If they've been there for years and are still in their same position, there's a reason.  I'm in the same situation at work... I've gone and spoken with my boss and the CEO and have requested a position of Asst. Mgr be created for me.  They are completely on board with it, said I totally deserve the position and that everyone in the compnay holds me in high regard.  They are meeting with the investment group next month to see if they can put it into the budget this year or if I have to wait until January.

There are people in my department who have been here much longer than I have.  I've been with the company for 2.5 years and one of my associates has been here 15 years.  I know he would be incredibly upset if I moved up, but he's in a position where he thinks he deserves a promotion solely based on his tenure here.  He has not picked up extra duties at work, he passes on any opportunities given to him, he's loud, disrespectful and cusses like a sailor.  I have willingly accepted new responsibilities and have worked closely with the CEO, CFO, COO and many other "higher ups" to get things done.  Things that aren't in my job description and not even related to my department.

I look at it like this - between my coworker and myself, who deserves the position?  The lazy, loud mouthed idiot or the one who works their butt off to get things done?  If you deserve it, take it!!  Don't let others hold you down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Take the position, and tell everybody to kiss your ass!!!
liss.n.chris
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I don't give 2 shits what coworkers may get jealous of.  If a promotion helps better provide for my family I'm taking it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I hope you get it! There has to be a reason they are looking to you for advancement. Maybe the employees who have been there longer have grown complacent and aren't showing much initiative. Maybe they're lazy, unreliable or problem employees. Who knows? There could be a myriad of reasons why they're getting passed over...Don't worry about the whys and how it will affect you and your work. You worry about you. Wouldn't extra money in your account help you? A promotion and pay raise are always good things, right? If you're the right person for the job, you deserve it! Again, I hope you get it. Good luck to you. ;-)

Thank you :D 

I certainly feel like I give 110% 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN