Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any dentists? Is this a dead tooth or cavity?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

Mobile Photo

My ds is due for a visit to the dentist. His last visit was 5 months ago. They said we were doing a good job brushing and that he didn't have any cavities. My son has always had bright white teeth. He was put on an antibiotic and all his teeth turned yellow. So I scraped the yellow off with a dental pick. I did it for a week. Last week I noticed his tooth was gray. If it is a cavity how would it all turn gray so fast? Is it a dead tooth? Yes I am taking him to the dentist. I had planned on doing it next month because it will be six months. Now that his tooth is gray I am hoping to find one and take him in this week. I am just posting this because it is bugging me. It is very noticeable. We check his teeth regularly and like I said I was using a dental pick. It wasn't like that all the other times I used it. Then one day it was gray. So if it is a cavity can you get porcelain caps at this age? He is 4. If it is a dead tooth what do they usually do?

What do you think it is cavity or dead?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Bump
Babymama7710
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It looks like a dead tooth to me but I could be wrong

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Bump
TakeTwo
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Did he fall down and bump the teeth/gums?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

my son had a black tooth like that, it was extracted

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Did the dentist tell you to use a dental pick?  I had teeth discolored from antibiotics I took between birth and age 7 and you couldn't scrape off the yellowing.  It was the enamel that yellowed, not anything on the surface.  If someone had scraped it, the enamel would have come off and killed the tooth.

FlyingHottie
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Looks like a dead tooth. It's a baby tooth so they will just pull it. Is the gums receding in the tooth?

deadlights86
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Its going to fall out in a couple years why bother getting it capped? Looks like a dead tooth to me the dentist might pull it.
lilmom71
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

My daughter had one like that luckily it was a babytooth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Looks dead. Has he had any injury to his mouth recently?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)