Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your child be free from chores for this? *she gave me her paper

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 68 Replies
7 moms liked this

So  I told dd(8) that we had a lot of cleaning to do today and she's helping. So she plays around and says "I learned how to write persausive papers in school so I'll just write one to you about why I shouldn't clean." 

I laughed and then I thought, well hold up lets see what she would really write. So I told her to write a paper and if it's good enough she doesn't have any cleaning to do today.  

*** So she handed in her paper. She said that she always does her cleaning but today is so beautiful that she would like to spend it outside. And that being outside and playing is healthy for her. It makes her happy. And she gets exercise on her bike. And she could even water the flowers for me when she is outside. It's only one day and she'll be back to cleaning.

The fact that this is a one time thing, she wrote a full page and she's going to water the flowers I am going to let her today, which I told her this is for TODAY ONLY!!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shygurl3166
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds good to me. Great way to encourage writing :)
NESmith63
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I would do the same thing!
Momof2sillygrls
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM
4 moms liked this
That's a great way to practice her writing while off for the summer. You got a quick thinker.
thatgirlNH
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Lol, sounds good! Update us with what she wrote lol.

illinoismommy83
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I would let her write a paper while I cleaned, but unless she had a perfect argument she'd be back to cleaning when she was done writing.

kayandjsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell me about it. After I told her the deal she said that her mind works better in the fresh air and then asked if this could be done outside on the porch. 

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

That's a great way to practice her writing while off for the summer. You got a quick thinker.

missmamaof4
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Lol that's so clever of her
goodnightmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Sounds good. Would love to see what she writes.
Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM
6 moms liked this

Doing chores is great. It teaches them responsibility and they learn that along with the fun times of being part of a family, there are the other times of doing what is necessary to keep that family unit running.

Cleaning and other chores are a part of that.

However, I have a daughter (she's 15) who has actually verbalized her thoughts in the past on why she should have a break from chores. She even had index cards with her "notes" written on them. lol

She stood in front of me and gave this speech on the merits of being cut a break from sweeping, dusting, etc.

She was SO articulate, cute, funny and hell, made some good points that we BOTH took that day off from chores.

ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Good idea! Way to argue a case. Perhaps she'll be a writer or lawyer!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN