Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

11 year old is an atheist

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 11 year old has been very vocal about the fact that he is an Atheist. He does not believe in God or anything to do with God. He always talks about how Science disproves God. I take no issue with this. I am personally a Pantheist and my younger son is exploring Paganism himself. They can religiously (or non) be whatever they opt to be. 

One of his good friends recently found this out and was in shock. I heard the phone conversation. He had his friend on speaker phone. They sit on the phone and play Minecraft together. His friend went on and on about Jesus. Trying to tell my oldest son that he was going to go to hell and that he NEEDED to believe in Jesus. That he was just trying to save my sons life! My son stubbornly (as is his nature) told him no. The kids must of carried on for a good 20 mins. 

This is the part that concerned me. He then told my son that he wasn't sure that his parents would let him hang out with someone that didn't believe in God. =\ 

I really hope that this decision doesn't affect his friendships. I don't want to tell him that he shouldn't talk about what he believes in either. I just wonder if I should maybe give him the advice to not shout it from rooftops, but he's generally an outspoken kid. 

He gets it from his Mama. >.<

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM

BUMP!

Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Just tell him if his friend can't support him then he doesn't need him as a friend anyway. He isn't née to be friends with ome one who is just going to judge him all the time

DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this
Unfortunately that is the way it is when you don't practice mainstream religion, as I'm sure you know. Being that he is an outspoken child, perhaps now is a good time for you to sit him down and explain to him that others aren't always very accepting, what the consequences may be & let him decide if it is worth the risk. Kwim?
Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I suppose that is good advice.

I just know that he is very close with this kid. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Just tell him if his friend can't support him then he doesn't need him as a friend anyway. He isn't née to be friends with ome one who is just going to judge him all the time

nerdymom28
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Does he really want to be friends with that kind of person, though? I mean...if they're just going to tell him he's going to hell, and spend all their time trying to "save" him, why would he want to be around them anyway?

Glitchtastic
by Glitter Trauma on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

This was a few days ago. They haven't talked about it again or I haven't heard it. I'm really hoping it wasn't a one time thing. Or that his parents aren't going to freak out. 

I do agree though. It is no fun having judging mcjuderson pants for friends. 

Quoting nerdymom28:

Does he really want to be friends with that kind of person, though? I mean...if they're just going to tell him he's going to hell, and spend all their time trying to "save" him, why would he want to be around them anyway?

Shabbydoll78
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

So, at 11 a lot of kids will have a hard time understanding your sons lack of religion. Especially if they( the friend) is raised with religion. 

All you can do is encourage your son to become well versed about his beliefs. And to express them without being overly inflammatory or insulting to others. Believe it or not, we(I'm an atheist and so are my two oldest children) try to practice the whole "Turn the other cheek" thing. Explain your stance, and let it be. If you are challenged,insulted,teased,rejected, it's just because the idea of atheism is scary to some people. People are scared of what they can not grasp or understand. If that person is smart,they will accept your child regardless, if they are too young and narrow to get it, then your son will need to give them some time.Your son will learn to accept the fact that having personal convictions sometimes conflicts with others personal convictions. There is just no getting around that.

MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

That's great that he is not ashamed to talk about it. If his friends parents don't let him hang out with your kid because of his views I'd say I wouldn't want them to be friends anyways. This is a great time/age for him to learn to stand up for what he believes in... even if it means losing friends. You find out who your friends are. 

SnowWhieQueen
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

wow thats hard to deal with at that age,its hard to deal with at my age...i hope every thing goes well!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)