Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question for formula feedng moms of premie babys

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I dont formula feed but there's a new baby in my building who drinks it. She was 8 weeks early and now she's 7 weeks old. She's 7lbs.
When talking to the mom I mentioned she's was teeny and cute and she volunteered that she feeds her 90+ ounces a day in a medium flow bottle and she's still small.

Is that normal? It just seems like a whole lot
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Bump. How much formula in a day is normal for a 7w premie baby is all I'm wondering
Plus-size-mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
90 ounces a day?! That is way too much!
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM
My daughter was 5 weeks early and she always ate less than what the 'norm' was for her age. She was only eating maybe 25-ish ounces a day (3, sometimes 4 ounces a bottle, every 3-4 hours). I know I was told to kind of be a little pushy with the formula to put some weight on her...not shoving it down her throat, but if she fell asleep while eating to tickle her feet or something to wake her up and let her finish the bottle. Maybe this woman was told something similar and is going overboard?
Plus-size-mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-tell-how-much-formula-your-baby-needs_9136.bc
cntrdmom
by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
That does seem a but much. Enough I'd be wondering if something else were going on. But my preemie was taking as much milk as a non preemie baby by about 4-5 weeks. She stayed tiny forever despite all the calories I was shoving down her.
I would expect 4-5oz every 3-4hrs for a 7week old. I could be wrong. And by then I think most preemies have caught up on eating. But it's been 5 almost 6 yrs as my preemie is 6 now.
SnowWhieQueen
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

i think it should be around 32 ozs a day...but mine were full term and bigger then that at birth...

Plus-size-mommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM
The article I read says 2.5 ounces per pound.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Way way to much!  

amber710
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Well, 7 weeks is one week shy of 2 months old. My sil's baby is 2 months old and eats 4-5 oz. every 3-4 hours. Which is about 30-45 oz in 24 hours.

My aunt has a 1 month old preemie who still only eats 2-3 oz. every 2 hours. About 24-36 oz in 24 hours.

My son is a huge 6 month old and eats about 6-7, 6 oz. bottles in 24 hours...about 42 oz.

So, I think she is either exaggerating, purposely lying, or way overfeeding her baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Maybe. This is her first baby and was in nicu for the first 5 weeks

Quoting The_Doodle:

My daughter was 5 weeks early and she always ate less than what the 'norm' was for her age. She was only eating maybe 25-ish ounces a day (3, sometimes 4 ounces a bottle, every 3-4 hours). I know I was told to kind of be a little pushy with the formula to put some weight on her...not shoving it down her throat, but if she fell asleep while eating to tickle her feet or something to wake her up and let her finish the bottle. Maybe this woman was told something similar and is going overboard?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)