Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what do you think? long (sorry)...Edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

Me my dh and our 2 sons 8yrs and 4 yrs live in Tennessee and my parents live in Kentucky. We were looking at moving but we aren't sure if we can financially afford to make the trip and possibly do worse financially than we do now and sent my father an email  explaining this. Here is his response. What do you think?

Right now dh makes 11.75hr.

dh,

We realize it is not easy with one worker in a family of four.  It does take an amazing amount of effort, commitment and sacrifice to accomplish things.

We figured since you would be on nights, (me) would need to get a job on days and (my mom) would keep the boys while you sleep.  Of course the boys would be yours on all of your days off.  So in other words, we would keep the boys only as much as minimally necessary so the two of you can work.  After all you are the parents.

There is a house in the neighborhood for $70,000 we have considered buying that you could rent.  The plan could be that you rent for say $500 per month and I would keep the yard work up since it is close by.  You could also make a monthly payment which would go 100% toward the purchase of the home.  After a couple of years when you guys saved or paid enough for a down payment I would sell it to you.  Your price would be what we paid, plus any repair costs we incur, plus whatever interest we had to pay on the loan we get for the initial purchase.  The sooner you were able to qualify for a loan on the property the lower the interest payback would be.  It is also possible you would qualify for government assistance on the rental and subsequent purchase.  The home originally listed for $98,000 when it went on the market in February so it would likely be a good investment in time.  With (me) working you could apply all or most of her earnings to the down payment and be able to get a much smaller loan.  The actual payment would likely be less than rent on a 30 year note.  I can create a chart that will show how this works if it interests you.  

Friday I made a big push to get you the grade 4 job as a Rewinder operator as we terminated one guy for smoking on site last Wednesday and we had a night shift Rewinder operator move back to packing so she could be on days.  This leaves us with two openings.  I am not sure what the pay is but suspects it might be about $14/hrs. after 6 months and would have $1 night shift premium added. The HR manager has my email request for help in getting you an interview.  I have not heard back yet so I am thinking she is trying to find out why you have not already been called.

As far as Southern Heights goes, I am sure we can work something out.  The lawn care for both properties costs me $95 per week on a bi-weekly mow basis plus extras related to removing limbs and such.  You are welcome to move back in anytime.  This may hold you for a little while.  However, I have been talking with (my aunt) about selling it.  She was supposed to have been working on getting a realtor the last few weeks.  So far she has not called back. 

Let me know what the plan is.

EDIT:

We have issues with my parent's trying to take custody of my oldest and of course want nothing to do with my youngest even though they are both biologically mine and dh's.

It is their way only, forgetting that I am 30 and able to make my own decisions without them trying to get my kids taken away. They (my father especially) take pleasure in hurting me and they know exactly where to hurt me.

There are no jobs down here but plenty up there. We are "robbing Peter to pay Paul" at this point. We cannot move without assistance to anywhere. But if we keep going the way we are......my kids will not have a home or clothes because they are growing so fast and we just can't afford it.

And I am streaming local internet from McD's which is just across the street. (incase anyone wants to talk about unnecessary expences)

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

It sounds like quite an opportunity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

It is but.....we have some issues. My parents have issues with boundries and even though I am 30 still try to lord over me and will use having a property under them as a way to try to force what they want to happen. And my father is an engineer at the factory and is over all areas so could use that as a way to keep us bound down and not being able to advance. I would like my kids to get to spend time but for some reason they dont like ds (4) even though they are both biologically ours. They have tried to actually pull one over on me to get me to sign over custody of my oldest who is the only one they care about........but there are no jobs down here I could work since dh works 3rd. I have been at home mom for 5 years now so it will be a little harder for me to get a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Nope. Had you mentioned the family dynamics in your post my advice would have been no way.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It is but.....we have some issues. My parents have issues with boundries and even though I am 30 still try to lord over me and will use having a property under them as a way to try to force what they want to happen. And my father is an engineer at the factory and is over all areas so could use that as a way to keep us bound down and not being able to advance. I would like my kids to get to spend time but for some reason they dont like ds (4) even though they are both biologically ours. They have tried to actually pull one over on me to get me to sign over custody of my oldest who is the only one they care about........but there are no jobs down here I could work since dh works 3rd. I have been at home mom for 5 years now so it will be a little harder for me to get a job.

PhoenixV
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

When you explain that, there is no way in hell I would take that offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Its best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes. - Anne Baxter

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting PhoenixV:

When you explain that, there is no way in hell I would take that offer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

But...there are no jobs down here and we can barely make ends meet and have to take from one bill to pay another. Up in my parents area there are jobs....and they still do the same shit even though we are 4 hrs apart. Either way it goes I still have to deal with the same shit.

And the Southern Hieghts is an estate house that my father and his sister have. It has been empty for 10 years except when we are in it to help repair but not really a healthy place or the kids. Bad neighborhood but great school.

We are damned if we do damned if we don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

bump

shygurl3166
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I'd do it until you have enough in savings that you could leave.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting shygurl3166:

I'd do it until you have enough in savings that you could leave.

They would be buying that house under their name and we would be paying the note. My father also will make us sign legal documents to keep the deal (which I understand, it is to protect his ass) so we would probably be in that house for the next 10 years minimum.....did I mention it is literally right down the street?

LilliesValley
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

100% would take the offer. Unless you've had serious problems with your family in the past this sounds like an amazingly good deal. A job waiting for your dh if he takes the initiative, a home waiting for you, and a baby sitter. Both of your kids will be in school within the next year, so imo, there's no reason for you to not get at least  a pt job. I would jump at the chance myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)