Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog people, i need some pointers.

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 13 Replies

I havnt had a puppy in years and we are getting ready to bring one home in a few weeks. I am wondering what products you just love for your pet. Everything from food, to the brand or type of collars/leashes/harnesses you use. Do/did you crate train your puppy? And really any other advice you can offer. Our dog passed away a bit over a month ago, so i know dogs, but this puppy thing is a different ball game, its been so many years ive forgotten whatever i may have learned, thanks.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Crate train, it was the best thing I ever did. I just buy cheap leashes and collars. Dog food, I make my own. I refuse to feed my puppies/dogs that crap they sell in the store.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I haven't had a puppy since I was a wee little girl.

Good luck!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I feed my 2 yo pug glucosamine every day to keep his joints healthy?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Find out what food he's currently being fed and stick with that.
elkmomma
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Stay away from rope type toys.  They can fray, get eaten and bind the intestines causing death or at the very least expensive surgery.

lancet98
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

When you choose the pup, be sure he's healthy.  Unusually sleepy pups, pups who have diarrhea, goop around their eyes, 'hard pad' (abnormally hard pads on paws), and pups who are scratching and seem to be very itchy, should be avoided.  Always part the fur and look for 'flea dirt', ticks, or signs of mange (reddened, irritated skin, broken off hairs, bare spots).  

If you can see and check both parents, that's very good.   THey need to be healthy too.   If you can, get a look at both parents and see if they are excessively shy, panicky, or very difficult to control.....we went with one gal to pick a pup - the mother wet the floor and cringed every time we even reached to pet her, the father was the densest creature I've ever seen in my life - it was like trying to get a 17 year old boy at a prom to listen to you.   The pup she picked out was THE most difficult dog to train that I've ever seen in my whole life.

Crate training is fantastic and follows a dog's instincts to have a 'den'.   It helps immensely to house train a pup.   Don't 'feel sorry' for the pup and let him run loose in the house.   Keep him in the crate and be sure to have regular play times.

Keep in mind that pups have little 'control'.   Routine is your friend.  Feed them 4 small meals a day, always at the same times of day, and take them outside right after to 'do their business'.   Praise the dog when he is able to 'go' outside.  You'll get to know the pup's 'biobreak' schedule if you keep meal times the same, and you'll know he has to go out right after he eats, and how long after that he has to go again.   Try to get the pup outside as early as possible in the morning and go for a late night, last walk.   He may still have to get up in the middle of the night for a week or two, depending on how many weeks old he is.

Don't change dog foods here and there.   Get him on a good quality puppy food (dry food) and keep him on it til he's a year old.   The breeder might give you some of the food they've been feeding, but make sure if you have to buy a different brand at home, that you make the transition to the new brand, slowly, over a week or so.

It's important to start training for obedience right away.   Never give a command unless you have your hands on the pup and can make sure he does it.   For example, say sit, hold up a treat, and guide his little butt down to the floor (simply putting his head up for the treat can make many pups sit).   Make sure you give one command, guide him through it IMMEDIATELY (His little brain doesn't connect things up unless they happen immediately - and that means as fast as you can do it).   NEVER repeat a command, say it once,guide him through it immediately, and then praise, praise, praise.

I've gotten to be kind of a sap as I've gotten older, but when I was younger, I was very strict about not biting, even in young pups.   If they bit I'd press their lips into their own teeth, saying 'ow'.   They soon learn to only give a very light 'play' bite or an 'air bite'.   With little needle sharp puppy teeth that's a real blessing.

BE SURE to keep people away from the pup who want to 'rough house' with him and enjoy getting him biting.   Avoid 'riling him up' - try to make play about chasing a ball or a laser light - don't make play about whacking him on the belly til he bites your hand - so many people rile dogs up, get them all excited, and then are appalled when they actually start nipping.

Lastly, be sure your pup gets his vaccinations on time.   And even if he's up on his vaccinations, don't let him run or play with other dogs.   Keep him isolated til he has had a chance to develop his immunity.

If the pup develops diarrhea, he'll have an awful time house training, and diarrhea usually means an illness or parasite infection.   If he does get this, take him to a vet and have fecal samples tested.   Most vets recommend routine worming and tests rather frequently with young puppies.

laura_simss
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Go grain free with dog food. It is much better for your dog

I also recommend treat less training 

MrsErdos2011
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Pointers, lol... laughing

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:16 PM

For some reason I have always found it much easier to house train female puppies. They just seem to "get it" faster than the little male puppies do.

ninjakids
by Christina on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Bigger pups are 74348942699357637x easier to train vs small pups lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)