Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 year old on a rollercoaster

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

My son is 5 years old soon to be six. he is 48 inches tall and weighs about 44 pounds and he is my baby.

his father took him this weekend to an amusement park, and we had already discussed not having my son ride the big rides. we spoke about this because he did the same with my daughter when she was younger.

my sons first rollercoaster was a rollercoaster with a 205 foot drop, two tunnels, steep banks, and speeds reaching 75 miles an hour. my son mentioned slipping around in his seat and only being a little scared but thats not my point. i think a five year old on these big thriller rides is unheard of not only due to the risk of slipping around and falling or hitting his head, but also because i think the thrill of some of these rides might be too much for his little heart.

my son is fine, thats not the point. im just wondering how old is/was your child when they rode their first big rollercoaster. ? anyone else think 5 is too young?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
My oldest child is 8 and has never been on a rollercoaster or any fast adult rides. He likes the kiddie rides and has never asked to ride any of the rollercoasters at the amusement park.
KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It depends on the child and the ride.   I am shocked the ride attendants would let him ride a big coaster because you typically have to be 54" for a BIG ride.    My DD probably road her first coaster at 6, but it was a decision me, DH and DD made together.  I wouldn't be happy if my DH had told me he agreed not to go on a big ride with DD, but did it anyway.  

askmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My son was 10.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM

DS rode Expidition Everest at Disneyworld @ 4 yrs old

IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My girls are 6 and are already 51-53 inches tall. They could have easily ridden most of the rides last year...but we never went to 6 flags. At six, they are riding all the water rides at white water except for the cliffhanger! This year, I'll let them ride whatever rides at six flags that they are tall enough to go on.
lnrmom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My 3 yo nephew goes on those rides. He's fine. He loves it. If they meet the height requirement, they're good.

Jade_Lufercus
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Not me. My 4 year old just went on his first kiddie roller coster last week and LOVED every second he was on it. Begged to go again. If he's big enough to go on the big rides next time we go then I'll let him try it if he wants to. 

I always tell my guy "You won't know you like it until you try it." So I tend to let him try whatever he wants(WIthin reason)

So no, I don't think almost 6 is too young. Not if he really wanted to try it. Now if his father goaded him into getting on the ride, yeah, I'd have a problem with that.

smalltowngal
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My DD rode the Iron Dragon at Cedar Point last summer. She was 5. She took a hang gliding class at 4 though and is quite the dare devil. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My kids started as soon as they met the height requirements. We just got back from Disneyland and dd 5 who is 46 inches rode all the big coasters. She loved it.

An0nym0use
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
If they are tall enough and brave enough, then I'd let my kid go on it. My kids probably won't be tall enough for those rides for a while.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)